• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigarette box usage (tabletop style)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just found a simple silverplate cigarette box at a thrift store and I'd like to put some cigarettes in it, but I don't want them to go stale. The box seems reasonably airtight, having an overlapping flange all the way around. Is there anything I can put inside it to control the humidity or whatever is needed so the cigarettes inside don't go bad?

Thanks.

cigbox2fn7.jpg

cigbox1zu4.jpg

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check with your local tobacconist.

We carry a small humidifier, pellet shaped, about 1.5cm by 5cm, intended to keep about five cigars fresh. It would likely be the most appropriate option for you. Perhaps throw two in there, one on each end, to ensure consistency. They're a dollar each.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are little humidifiers that you can stick on the lid. Basically it is just a sponge that slowly releases moisture, and has to be wetted frequently. Invariably you will forget to freshen it up and the tobacco will go stale.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's a sweet cigarette box.
Thanks, I thought it was pretty cool. The finish is kind of beat up, but I like things that way. Though if I decide I really like it I may strip it and replate it, and then let it tarnish properly. Thanks for the advice on the humidifier devices. I'll bring the box into a tobacconist and ask them what they think. Is there any option that doesn't require maintenance? Also, would there be any sense in potentially lining some of the surfaces inside the box with cedar? I thought that might be a cool touch and wouldn't take much work at all.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Thanks for the advice on the humidifier devices. I'll bring the box into a tobacconist and ask them what they think. Is there any option that doesn't require maintenance? Also, would there be any sense in potentially lining some of the surfaces inside the box with cedar? I thought that might be a cool touch and wouldn't take much work at all.

Aside from looking cool, b/c I like the way cedar looks, cedar holds humidity really well. So I would say that all humidification devices are going to require some maintenance, but if you line your box with cedar, it will require less maintenance since it'll hold the humidity better. Also, you'd need to make really sure that the fit is airtight.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Thanks for the advice on the humidifier devices. I'll bring the box into a tobacconist and ask them what they think. Is there any option that doesn't require maintenance? Also, would there be any sense in potentially lining some of the surfaces inside the box with cedar? I thought that might be a cool touch and wouldn't take much work at all.

I'd suggest trying the poster-board thin cedar used as dividers in cigar boxes. You should be able to cut it easily with scissors.

This should be adequate, given the small size of the box and relative stability of cigarette tobacco compared to cigar tobacco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads