• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Appreciation Thread

Gerry

Reaction score
Not for all weather but a most comfortable pair of shoes, Church Sahara.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm browsing the Herring shoes website and it turns out Church has a new line of shoes. Named Office; everything is calf leather and fully leather lined. Around $550. Includes 3 oxfords, a derby, a monk, and Chelsea boots.

gr789

Reaction score
So I'm browsing the Herring shoes website and it turns out Church has a new line of shoes. Named Office; everything is calf leather and fully leather lined. Around $550. Includes 3 oxfords, a derby, a monk, and Chelsea boots.
Thanks, that was interesting. Looks like Church's is looking to market into that Alden/CJ mainline price point. I handled a pair of Grafton's calf recently and the MSRP was around $750. I did not know (until I saw the Herring shoes website) that the City line had some sort of polishing agent imbued into it! That would lend itself to some criticism from SFers.

Not for all weather but a most comfortable pair of shoes, Church Sahara.

Great boots Gerry! A pair from Church's Madison Ave. store in NY. Very comfy as the suede was unlined. It had some interesting burnishing on the toes and heel quarters (it seemed like burnishing on shoes was everywhere at that time).

nickjk1988

Reaction score
Very new to this forum, been reading a long time. But needed to sign up before I make a purchase.

Looking at buying a pair of Church Fosbury in size 10. But in the images they have a darker sole and the toes seem shiny?

Is this normal, I believe they are burnished suede. But can't be sure of what the dark area is before my purchase. Or any similar purchase going forward if these fall through.

Hopefully someone can help. And hopefully this is the right place.

Nick

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, nick. I moved your post over here so you can get the help you need. These guys know Church's shoes and should be able to chime in. Best of luck!

gr789

Reaction score

Very new to this forum, been reading a long time. But needed to sign up before I make a purchase. Looking at buying a pair of Church Fosbury in size 10. But in the images they have a darker sole and the toes seem shiny? Is this normal, I believe they are burnished suede. But can't be sure of what the dark area is before my purchase. Or any similar purchase going forward if these fall through. Hopefully someone can help. And hopefully this is the right place. Nick
Welcome Nick! That burnished suede is simar to the upper that I had posted on those Saharas above. It's some sort of polish or paste applied to the suede. As to the soles, I don't own any Church's with it but have seen them and I believe that they are just a Church's oil soaked variant to increase flexibility and durability??? I am by no means a Church's shoes expert, just an enthusiastic consumer...

Last edited:

gr789

Reaction score
An example of what probably makes post-Prada Church's so polarizing, but I like my Elmsteads. Someone told me that these reminded him of expensive Doc Marten's (again, not helping Church's here on SF!)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Another of my amusing Church's. Pull-up leather. Crazy soles.
I remember seeing something very similar to those sold with the Prada label.

gr789

Reaction score
I remember seeing something very similar to those sold with the Prada label.
LOL, yeah these particular of my Church's are very much outside of the old traditions. Goodyear welted, solid construction, big discount attracted me to them. They are decidedly casual. I always envisioned re-soling these more conservatively (dainite or something) after some use.

typericey

Reaction score
Sharing with you my newly purchased Church's Dubai in Nevada. They are Custom Grade and fully leather lined. I chose this color and style because I feel they are flexible: they are quite dressy, yet they can also be worn with raw denim. Can't seem to find this model in Church's website but they seem to be closest to the Consul Nevada.

This is my first "real" pair of shoes coming from a world of Cole Haan Lunargrands and a few designer loafers (Ferragamo, etc.). So yeah, not shoe savvy at all, but I consider this pair as my gateway drug. Hoping to get Alden shells as my next purchase and then maybe try out other Northampton brands.

Wearing them to work for the first time today so I also don't have an idea of "how" they are. A couple of maiden voyage pics below. Note: photos above are closer to its actual color than the crappy phone pics below.

To be honest, a bit disheartened about Church's getting no love in SF, but I try dismiss them and just enjoy my shoes. Hope to post first impressions here after a few wears and prolly eventually have my own (non-expert) opinion on the brand.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's still got it!

As I wrote before, their Ryder III Chukka boot is the most comfortable shoe I own. Suede is amazing too!

Trouble is the aura this brand developed after the Prada took over. But I think their classics like Ryder or Consul will still find it's way to buyers, though it's hard to compete with the brand like Crockett Jones that is offering products at the same price level these days.

gr789

Reaction score
Really nice looking shoes typericey - I still enjoy my Church's even though I have many of the Styleforum darlings (C&J, Vass, Alden, Trickers, Lobb, G&G, etc.).

Let us know how they break in!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads