Church's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Closer, Mar 30, 2009.

1. gr789

gr789 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Church's Tasmania, probably a touch big for me causing those deep creases. But I like the easy on/off with these.

2. Angeland

Angeland Active Member

Nice boots. I am writing not to hijack the Tasmania posting but to pose a question and bump one from some time ago on this thread--regarding a member's find of a pair of Church's on the "107" last.

I bought a pair of Church's chukka boots in London maybe a dozen years ago, and, for traveler's luck I left them in Bahrain, where I trust the good folks who took care of the company rental will wear them long and in good health.

I don't remember the model name, but I remember the last was 107. Or 10?. It was not 100 but something that could have bee a 2 or a 3 or a 7. I have many Church's shoes on 103, and it was not on the 103. Much narrower in the toe. I have some 133s and it is not that either. Church's will not share any information about this boot or this last.

It looked just like the Tasmania, with two eyelets and a heavy double leather sole and storm welt. It was sold with rawhide laces. It was not the Tasmania. I remember its name vaguely as English sounding. I googled and found "Durham," which is on the 107, but I could not say for certain it was that.

Any guesses anyone? Does anyone else have anything on the 107 last or, by chance, remember this boot? Again, Church's is not forthcoming about it (or about their discontinued products, in general).

3. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

For all those in SF that hate CG , let me tell you that Churchs CG is fantastic for my rainy days.

The leather is a great thick calf leather that wont ever crack. Full veg lining. Develop creases equal to premium calf. Warmth is equal to shell. The acrilyc shellack is very hard and thin, almost equal to Alden #8 . CG is equal to those shoes that are permanently waxed....so why to worry?

These gun boat soos dont fear any storm and they do not need much care from me.

With love. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Zapasma :

Indeed, corrected grain is more practical than calf. Sometimes I use my CG gunboats for pub crawling or going to watch football matches or in rainy places. Are those Graftons?

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

We need more pics of the high quality models. I think the latest premium range uses betis leather.

6. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Exactly, I do not like CG in general. But to have a couple of those in your collection is almost a must for any turbulent occasion.

Yes, they are Graftons.

Saludos.

7. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Betis leather?. I heard of Betis Radica leather from Ilcea (museum calf). This CG leather is treated in a huge tannery in Galicia, Spain,

Check this out: http://picusa.eu/product/calf/

Picusa is one of the largest/best manufactures of CG in Europe.

8. ieasti

ieasti Well-Known Member

9. ieasti

ieasti Well-Known Member

Both these pair are on their 137 last with betis leather and comes with shoe trees, pictures of when they were new.

[​IMG]

After they have been worn for awhile

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Ok, thanks, another name for marketers.

Nice shoes!!

11. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Sorry, what is the name of the premium church's range that keeps getting mentioned? Which kind of models are you talking about?

I presume "Custom Grade" is their standard range?

12. ieasti

ieasti Well-Known Member

There is a top drawer range that uses the aforementioned betis leather, with lasted shoe trees and oak bark sole.
    AFAIK they only come in the 137 last, there are 3 models, a double monk, a captoe oxford and a brogue wingtip.

13. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

14. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

Gave an outing to my suede pemberys at the weekend. These are such a classic, comfortable loafer and the dark suede colour is wonderful. I know Church's are oft maligned on this board but I have to say these are superb and I reccomend them.

[​IMG]
    highly.

15. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member