Church's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Closer, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

I have one pair of Church's. They are suede with a moulded rubber sole. Almost straight away the stitching at the top of the eyelets sprung. Disgraceful quality - which is why I only have one pair.

2. aDrummingDude

aDrummingDude Senior member

Yeah, Ferragamo (especially at the high end) builds a great shoe, but I think they're ultimately too "fashiony" to garner much respect on this board, which leans towards traditional and stodgy. My Tramezza constructed Ferragamo's I'd put against any other shoe available at any price point...they're that good. At that level they are certainly superior to Church's though.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

3. aDrummingDude

Rockin' it casual today with chinos and the Church's pennies...with socks! (gasp)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

4. letsgofire

letsgofire Senior member

I have this exact style and it's great. Really happy with it.

5. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

Well, I took the plunge today and got a pair of Chetwynds. I think they're a lovely shoe. Quite happy with my purchase.

IG

6. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Just bought these. Church's Ryder III boot with Dainite sole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next to a John Lobb Lopez.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

7. thelonius

thelonius Senior member

What point are you making, putting them together ?

8. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

Great looking boots. I have these too and I really like them

9. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Thanks @Giannis .. I was surprised how heavy they are compared to my other Italian boots. Finger crossed I didn't buy the version with a problematic Dainite sole. The choice was either these or Crockett Jones Chiltern, but the more rounded shape of toe was on Church's side.

10. Giannis

Giannis Senior member

I also saw the chiltern but prefered something more rounded to be more casual. I was between the Ryder, the Loake kempton/ Loake Pimlico, and the one from Cheaney which looks a lot like the Ryder.

11. araybanfan

araybanfan Member

I wear mainly red wing shoes, Church's Loake seems cool too. Just way different in terms of looks. Any red wing fans here? How does Church's quality stack up next to red wing? Unfair comparison I hope not both are shoes effectively.

12. DrNik

DrNik Member

Keep an eye on that welt. See my earlier posts for common fault, which was rectified gracefully by Church's but then recurred within weeks of being repaired. I have since returned them again to Church's via Herring Shoes, who provided outstanding customer service all round and were able to to negotiate a refund on my behalf. Chiltern's are looking a lot more appealing; but first I think I'll replace my Islay!

13. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Hello

I have been reading the thread, frankly I don't understand why people dislike Church's so much, is my favorite brand. Well I understand, is a matter of perception and preference, not everybody has to like the things I like.

I own C&J, AS, AE, Loake, Cobbler Union, Sanders, Cheaney and Grenson, so I can talk a bit about Church's. I don't own Edward Green (Dover in my bucket list).

My favorite shoes are the Church's Grafton in walnut calf and the Consul in brown, both in the 173 last. Church´s is a well made, simple design and good looking shoe. My brother who is a bike rider and car racer who doesn't give a dime on what he is wearing (not every body is worried abot the size of the double monk's buckle) always compliments my Church's. He says "those looke like the Mercedes of shoes".

I love strudy shoes, the 173 last is the best for my feet, maybe is the round toe. I am wondering where I could find a pair of Lancaster in 10.5UK in mahogany. I make my purchases from Herring's, lovely people to deal with, leaving in Peru, is quite hard buying shoes in the internet, I have never had a problem with them.

14. aDrummingDude

I think people like to hate on them because Church's have had inconsistent quality, allegedly since the Prada takeover (a brand loathed on styleforum). I only have one pair of Church's, but look forward to trying the Grafton as long as they can be had in non-corrected leather.

15. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Hello Drummer

I also avoid polished leather, I live in a very dry city so rain is not a concern, as far as I know polish binder (aka corrected leather but is not exactly the same) is very usefull in rainy places if you don´t want to apply dubbin every now and then. That´s why is used more frecuently in "country" style shoes, but the plastic look is horrible. I am saving a couple of pairs (not giving them to charity) for pub affairs (watching football matches drinking beer) or places where suede would be damaged.

In my bucket list there is a pair of black Grafton, they are really substantial, when you walk inside a place with a hard floor surface people turns to give a glance to them.

I will polish my Grafton in cordovan and return with pictures. Does any body know where I can found a pair of Cowes in brown or Lancaster in Mahogany?

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014