Church's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Closer, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Found a pair of Church split toe shoes.
    But can't find any info about them online.

They have the word "Dallas" inside, which I presume is the style name, but I can't find that listed anywhere. The only Church split toe that looks similar is called the "Carne".

And it seems there were made on a 107 last, which is another mystery. Do Church's have a 107 last?

And they are rubber soled, but not the usual Dainite style. I'll have to try contact Church's and see if they can be resoled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone ever seen this model before or have any information about them?

2. lintag

lintag Well-Known Member

Can anyone ID these? They're from fw14 but can't seem to find any stockists or name of the shoe.

[​IMG]

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Does Church's only use corrected leather now? Do they have a line that uses better leather?

4. rallyx

rallyx Well-Known Member

Hi, try shoehealer.co.uk

5. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

I believe the old styles use some of the best leather out there.. I've got a pair of Chetwynds in brown that I adore. Lovely shoes.

IG

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Did some research, and the best Church shoes are on the 137 last. But they're approaching John Lobb pricing for those models.

Most of the other models look like polished leather.

7. Topaze

Topaze Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

Can anyone tell me if these guys are legit?

www.ashtonmarks.com

I'd like to buy a pair of Consuls that they have on sale, but something tells me I should be a bit cautious. I mean, their contact information is a bit scarce, and the last blog update was in July or something like that. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

For that matter, does anyone know how Church's 173 last compares to its 138 last? In the Quintessential dress shoe thread there was a post saying that they fit pretty much the same way, but it'd be great to have some confirmation. Church's Ely (that's a Chelsea boot on 138 last, G fitting) is pretty much the only shoe/boot I have in size 7.5, the rest being 8 or sometimes even 8.5, so I'm not completely sure about ordering a pair of oxfords in that size.

8. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I bought two pair of Church's shoes around 1984-85. Both were full brogue/wingtip style shoes. One pair was black and a little sleeker than the second pair which is a burgundy leather. I don't recall exactly what I paid for them at the time, but it was at least a couple hundred pounds each, and a lot of money thirty years ago.

My experience with Church's soured me on buying English shoes for many, many years after.

The black pair, it turned out, was not a pair. Meaning, they were two shoes from two different pairs of shoes. The leather was slightly different and the numbers inside the shoes did not match. Despite living in California, I made another point of returning to the shop in the Strand where I bought them to inquire about them. The shop personnel swore up and down that the shoes were a pair. And that was that. I eventually gave them to Goodwill.

The burgundy pair were better and I wore them for a few years when I regularly wore a suit and tie to work (at that time I worked in Product Marketing for a now-defunct computer company). But I stopped wearing them regularly more than twenty years ago since when they have mostly resided in a closet (with trees and in bags). Sadly, when I have worn them recently, I have found them to be rather fatiguing, hard on my knees and my feet ache after just a couple hours.

So I'd say the experience of buying and owning Church's shoes to have been disappointing. Now that I am again buying and wearing better shoes than I have in many years, I would never consider buying a pair of Church's.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. TheFluffer

TheFluffer Well-Known Member

I know i'm resurrecting an old thread which is rather undesirable (plus its about Church shoes[​IMG]) BUT! for the sake of discussion (since it is a forum) and personal experience, i found a pair of Churches for sale on the Bay..

Any comments on them? its condition- whether worth buying? and which model is it?

Here are the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

10. gr789

gr789 Senior member

Since I do appreciate Church's, I wanted to contribute to this thread. Some recent Church's, the Gorsley-[​IMG]

11. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

After visiting the Church's factory shop in Northampton last year, I came away with these Church's Lanark in Walnut Nevada calf. They are on the 138 last, which I find exceptionally comfortable.

[​IMG]

I was after a black shoe on a rubber sole this time, so I have just ordered these Church's Eastcote brogue in black calf, again on the 138 last. I'm hoping they will be just as comfortable! The Lanark is from the Flex range and it has additional padding inside the leather lining.
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone else got the Eastcote?

12. gr789

gr789 Senior member

Sorry, I don't own the Eastcote.

About two years old Church's Ryder, 81 last on crepe sole. These are the pair I reach for when flying off to beach (Hawaii) and desert (Arizona) vacations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  13. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

My Ryder III Chukka boot on Dainite sole and G fit is by far most comfortable shoe I have. [​IMG]

14. gr789

gr789 Senior member

I am with you, Nikola. I own or have owned Alden, C&J, Bettanin&Venturi, Allen Edmonds, Tricker's and Loake chukkas. Because of the last, the height of the shaft, the crepe sole, and who knows what else are really, really comfortable and fit me well. I haven't had the QC issues with these boots that others have described.