• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka boots to wear for work

kmwrestle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
What is the difference between the AE Calhoun and AE Malvern?

There is almost a 100% price difference

Its about 100% difference in quality. The Malvern has 360 degree welted sole as opposed to the Calhoun which is a glued sole. You can send the Malvern back to AE for recrafting, you cannot with the Calhoun.

From AE Website:
This style is recraftableÂ
00ae.png
Allen Edmonds 360° welted shoes are so well-made that we can actually return them to their original glory with our exclusive Recrafting process. Using the original manufacturing process, we literally rebuild worn footwear from the bottom up.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I had ordered the To Boot NY suede Chukkas. I just got them. They are going back. I have several qualms about them.

The first: I was not impressed with the quality of the suede and overall construction. The feeling I got was cheap/flimsy suede that would easily stretch to the point of stress and wear. I would have not been surprised if they looked old and haggard (and not in a good way) after 10 wearings.

The second: the toe seemed exceptionally long. Maybe I'm just not used to the Chukka style, but when I put them on, it just seemed like I was wearing long planks on my feet.

Those US made shoes look pretty cool. Anyone have any experience with them?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Bump... has anyone tried these shoes?

For $100, they seem like a good alternative to AE Leeds ($250ish on sale).

Both are dark brown, plain toe, goodyear welted.

a) they don't look very appealing at all.
b)where did you get the idea they have a goodyear welt. For this price, I seriously doubt that.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
b)where did you get the idea they have a goodyear welt. For this price, I seriously doubt that.

The item description says "Trooper 90085 Welt Construction. Made in Brown Leather with Goodyear Welt construction with VIBRAM rubber sole."

pgd3

Reaction score
The item description says "Trooper 90085 Welt Construction. Made in Brown Leather with Goodyear Welt construction with VIBRAM rubber sole."

I've seen a variety of different "goodyear welts" from rubber welt strip stitched to the boot in a speed stitch fashion then stitched to a bit of rubber, and a rubber sole glued on.

All the way to the nice leather welt stitched down to leather midsole with a rubber toplift and heel base.

I would imagine that this shoe the sole is glued to a stitched midsole, which doesn't make it bad perse, lots of work shoes/work boots are constructed in this manner.

Commonly it is done so that the welt stitching is protected from the eliments by having it above the sole. And it is usually able to be restitched.

It is just more like a standard uniform shoe than anything else.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, don't see it??? Description or details on the link provided.

Details

Our Empire 90068 Brown Dress Chukka Boot .. is made with a high quality brown leather and fabricated in its entirety in our factory in Virginia using all U.S. Made components, on combination lasts. The sock is made with perfed PORON and a high-density heel cup providing maximum comfort. The DRILEX lining wicks moisture away from your feet keeping them cool and dry. The ultra lightweight urethane unit sole is both slip and oil resistant as well as durable. MADE IN USA.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why but I feel like if I was getting a chukka to wear with a suit, I'd go with suede over leather or cordovan. Of course, a lot depends on the shape/last and the color, but all other things being equal I feel like the suede softens the casual style of a chukka, while cordovan emphasizes it.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Sorry, don't see it??? Description or details on the link provided.

oops. I was referring to the link in this post

Originally Posted by zerostyle
Bump... has anyone tried these shoes?

For $100, they seem like a good alternative to AE Leeds ($250ish on sale).

Both are dark brown, plain toe, goodyear welted.

The Trooper 900
http://www.usmadeshoes.com/military/...-brown-leather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads