• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka boots to wear for work

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Skip the suede, but pick up the Calhoun. Black or brown will be nice, although black is more versatile. Where can you get them for that price?

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
I bought a pair of AE Calhouns on sale and they are perfectly fine. In fact, I wear them all the time due to the fact that I picked them up so cheap. I live in the city, so I walk A LOT, and Boston's brick and cobblestone is not exactly good for shoes. Long story short, Calhoun's are a perfectly fine shoe. I know this because I've put mine through hell and they are in great shape. I'm sure you're speaking from experience on this.

The Aldens are what, 600.00 plus?

It's like the op was asking advice on what cars to buy; posting pictures of camerys, accords and the ford taures...and you tell him all those cars are junk and tell him to buy a 100,000 S500.

The op might not even fancy chukkas next season and you're telling him to buy 600.00 boots when he's ob shopping for lower priced models.

Op: I own the AE chukkas, and while they are not as good as AE's classic line, they will be fine for you and they are well worth 140 bucks.

+1

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
Skip the suede, but pick up the Calhoun. Black or brown will be nice, although black is more versatile. Where can you get them for that price?

Brown is generally far more versatile than black.

And to me, the suede really makes them even more versatile.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
E website has them for 179. Cincinnati store (which is closing, but can drop ship) is offering 20% off for a "customer appreciation" month.

Thanks all for responses

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I think suede is too casual for work, even in "business casual" environments. I don't think there's a "rule" on this though, so it's just my personal opinion.

Totally agree. I don't even get the appeal of suede. But, that is just me I suppose.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown leather Chukkas rock...suede Chukkas rock even harder.

I would even wear mine with a suit if the opportunity arose. I regularly wear mine to the office as is with trousers and buttondowns.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my newbie-ness. What are the advantage of Welted Sole vs Glued Sole? That price difference seems dramatic.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
Brown is generally far more versatile than black.

And to me, the suede really makes them even more versatile.

Disagree completely.

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Please forgive my newbie-ness. What are the advantage of Welted Sole vs Glued Sole? That price difference seems dramatic.

There are about 100 different threads about this, but the welted shoe is likely to be constructed in a sturdier fashion and can be resoled several times. The glued sole won't last as long and is probably built to lower standards. Note how the Malvern is said to be recraftable on the website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads