• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Bargain Spots

Lawman

Reaction score
Guys, I'm going to be in Chicago later this week, and would be interested in hearing about places that feature high end closeouts. How is the Filene's Basement there?

I don't know how to get around the city very well and will be staying at the O'Hare Hilton. What is the best way to get to said establishments?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
places that feature high end closeouts. How is the Filene's Basement there?

There are two FB's around a mile apart on Boul Mich which are said to be very good for their ilk. And then there's Morris & Sons located a couple miles off the beaten path on Roosevelt Road.

Broadway

Reaction score
There's a Filene's Basement on State Street and Madison that's not bad, and decent Nordstrom Rack across State Street from it. Nothing amazing, but I've landed some pretty good deals at both.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
Do a quick search, i could have sworn this topic was discussed recently and refered to a couple good consignment shops, one run by a black man named billy (???)
I don't know of a shop run by a Billy, but Duomo is run by a guy named Tony. It is on Broadway between Diversy and Wellington. I've picked up a Chester Barrie and some Polo stuff there for pretty cheap. You can attempt the CTA Blue line to get downtown from O' Hare. It takes most of an hour to do so, but the Washington stop will drop you a few blocks from the downtown Nordstrom Rack. The Monroe stop is right near Filene's. You can then take the Red line north (Howard) to Chicago and walk about a block to the other Filene's. I would also hit Ralph's place at the corner of Chicago and Michigan to see if they still have the sale going. Things are pretty well picked over, but there are some deals left.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a Brioni guy check out Morris and Sons, the Filene's on Michigan has Oxxford usually in weird patterns and colors, sometimes they do get something unique

I think about a block away there is Paul Stuart (sp?) that sometimes has some interesting things but I find sales people who aren't into the items they sell, there is George Greene which I don't think has any sales but interesting store;It is always fun trying to figure out who exactly his clientèle are and barneys in that block, Mr. Despos across from Barneys. There use to be Tender Buttons that was great for buttons around there. The Polo store is a few blocks from there and they might have some sales, if nothing else I like the restaurant they have there.

Brooks on Michigan might have some goodies, but terrible service, if you do buy and want something tailored take it to the Rookery and ask for Alex (tailor).

By the Rookery you have Syd Jerome's which sometimes has their 50% off sales on everything from Oxxford to Isaia but terrible tailors.
In that block is Albert Karoll (sp) at Richard Bennett but nothing "on sale" but great for working button holes.

Marshall Field's , now Macy's hasn't had anything interesting or unique since their change.

If it was me and I had the day, I would start at Truefitt and Hill and get a shave, then explore that little section of Oak Street and Michigan. Grab lunch at Sayat Nova , head down to the State area and check out the Rookery (note here, if you are single there are some really cute sales woman here<g>), Syd Jerome , State street shops then around dinner if you like Brioni or Luciano Barbera grab a taxi to Morris and Sons, after stopping at Manny's Deli and finish the day.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I went to the FB on Michi. Ave. across from Water Tower Place this weekend, and their selection wasn't too great. So steer clear from that one.

Lawman

Reaction score
Guys, thanks so much. I really appreciate it. What do the Oxxfords go for at FB?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
Guys, thanks so much. I really appreciate it. What do the Oxxfords go for at FB?

800 to 1000, but I have yet to find a great pattern. The saks on michigan and the neiman marcus sometimes have oxxford staples on sale.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*** I Am Editing This On Feb 2008 And Removing My Recommendation For Richard
Bennett, I Would Never , Ever Ever Recommend that store ***

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^
March 2007?
lookaround.gif

I believe I need the Venn diagram version of that post.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
*** I Am Editing This On Mar 2007 And Removing My Recommendation For Richard
Bennett, I Would Never , Ever Ever Recommend that store ***

I'm curious why you would recommend Bennett's, which is near my office. I know that he clothes some local celebs, including Chris Gardner (the subject of the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness").

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I went to the FB on Michi. Ave. across from Water Tower Place this weekend, and their selection wasn't too great. So steer clear from that one.
I've never had success finding anything at FB on Michigan Ave. I used to stop in whenever I was in Chicago but I no longer do so.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I'm curious why you would recommend Bennett's, which is near my office. I know that he clothes some local celebs, including Chris Gardner (the subject of the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness").
I am NOT recommending them. (Side note, in case I slip up in grammar , There isn't a Richard Bennett , just the name of the firm so them instead of him)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads