• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cheap tux

BLU8

Reaction score

Thanks guys! Got the tux and the pants! Just need a slim fit tux shirt. Suggestions welcome... on a cheap budget of course.

There's the JAB shirt I linked to in my previous post.

Men's Wearhouse also has several budget options: http://www.menswearhouse.com/shop/n...=&searchType=sort&sortType=viewByParam&cm_vc=

Charles Tyrwhitt makes a good quality slim-fit evening shirt: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shi...it-shirt?q=gbpdefault||EV022WHT|||||||||||||#

You may also want to check out stores like J.C. Penney, Macy's, or Saks Off Fifth outlets.

Last edited:

kingxxxman

Reaction score
Thanks BLU8! Regarding that shirt from JAB, how much slimmer is it compared to the regular fit?

Last edited:

BLU8

Reaction score
Sorry, I actually don't have an answer for that because I don't own any JAB dress shirts. Your best bet would be to go to the store & try one on or use the "Product Q&A" feature on the page to ask about the fit.

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Given the budget and the fact you are in HS and the tux/shirt likely wont fit for too many more years, might want to just go with the JaB shirt and have it tailored locally- shouldn't be expensive or difficult.

kingxxxman

Reaction score
I think i'm going to go with a normal shirt with french cuffs. I plan on wearing a black vest instead since i think that's pretty universal right? Where do you suggest getting a black vest at a cheap price?

johnvw

Reaction score

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Hi, don't want to try to hijack your thread or anything seeing as I don't have any experience with buying tuxes but was wondering if any of you guys know where, as a student on a budget, I could purchase a midnight blue tux? I've looked everywhere!

Also kingxxxman, make sure you get the tux with peak lapels I think they look way better than shawl or notch for eveningwear.

johnvw

Reaction score

Any other suggestions?! I've never heard of those sites before.

You may try eBay. As far as online, those are the two with the lowest prices I know of. Maybe someone else will respond with more information.
If I may say so, your response seems somewhat ungrateful for someone seeking help. Even if you "have never heard of those sites before," you could try ordering from one and see how you would like the result. If displeased, returns should be possible.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been through the same process. It's virtually impossible to find a good looking black vest on a budget because most companies simply don't make them anymore. What I ended up doing for prom was getting a low quality made to measure done in Hong Kong. Had the look of a typical cheap $300 suit but at an affordable $130. Probably won't be an option for you guys though.

I'd say you guys should go the cummerbund route because they're a lot easier to acquire. I actually rented a tuxedo my junior year then got the made to measure my senior year. I also forgot to return the cummerbund in the rental so I ended up having a free cummerbund.

If you're buying the Jos. A Banks, you'd definitely have to get stuff tailored if you want to look halfway decent. Once you get to prom you'll be spending the rest of the night without your jacket anyway.

And even though the Black Tie Guide stresses these rules and how everything should be black and people frown upon the whole color matching thing, it's your prom. All your other friends will be wearing gaudy ass rental tuxedos with obnoxious vests. If your date is wearing a dress of a certain color, you can try coordinating by getting suspenders that complement her or wearing fun socks. Both years my dates wore black so I didn't have any pressure to match. It's definitely good to know the rules, but there is no reason that you should be sticking to every single rule.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think i'm going to go with a normal shirt with french cuffs. I plan on wearing a black vest instead since i think that's pretty universal right? Where do you suggest getting a black vest at a cheap price?

Just to be sure you're looking for the right thing, the type of vest you should be buying for wearing with a tuxedo is a low-cut waistcoat which looks like the following (the opening can be V-shaped or U-shaped):

It should not be a high-cut waistcoat like this, which is just plain wrong with a tuxedo:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads