• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually curious on how things turn up now

What I have learned so far as that no matter how little Renovateur I use on my boots, there's a white, waxy residue left behind that really shows up upon inspection. Cheaney's recommendation is simply not that great. I want my boots to be protected by some kind of wax as I wear them out in the winter time. I like the whisky color and to me it's a mixture of brown and red. So I tried polishing them with a burgundy polish, also from Saphir. It actually works pretty good. The boots look very good and whatever wax coating is provided by the polish, is pigmented and not visible.

I dont know how you use a neutral colored wax as it will be white colored and very very visible.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trafalgar.

20240326_075659.jpg
20240326_075702.jpg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Do any folks in the US send their shoes back to Cheaney for refurbishment? If yes, did you find the results worth the cost?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any folks in the US send their shoes back to Cheaney for refurbishment? If yes, did you find the results worth the cost?
I sent my Church's back to England from Canada. Never again.

Find a local cobbler to customize what you want done.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was your bad experience?

The work as promised on the website, wasn't done. They did not insert the original lasts to pull the uppers over. They did not replace the original insole. They simply glued a new insole over the original.

After receiving them back, I contacted Church's and pointed out the obvious issues. They asked me to ship them back at their costs. They then came up with some BS excuse that the shoes were too told to have the uppers pulled over the last, and that the original insole wasn't strong enough to be removed and replaced.

They offered me 50% discount for the repair.

I'd rather deal with a skilled and reputable local cobbler. I've had over 20 pairs of footwear rebuilt by cobblers and I can customize things.

Shoemog

Reaction score
The work as promised on the website, wasn't done. They did not insert the original lasts to pull the uppers over. They did not replace the original insole. They simply glued a new insole over the original.

After receiving them back, I contacted Church's and pointed out the obvious issues. They asked me to ship them back at their costs. They then came up with some BS excuse that the shoes were too told to have the uppers pulled over the last, and that the original insole wasn't strong enough to be removed and replaced.

I'd rather deal with a skilled and reputable local cobbler. I've had over 20 pairs of footwear rebuilt by cobblers and I can customize things.
That's really bad!! Were the shoes that bad in the end?

Not from USA but had a very positive experience from both Crocket & Jones + Loake factory. Both were sole faults which they refitted and re polished almost as new!! They weren't that old to be fair but it was really good.

Tim Apple

Reaction score

That sounds really awful, but it's not a Cheaney experience. Cheaney says your shoes come back in virtually new shape. That's enticing. Also, I have many Imperial collection shoes. The soles on these are much more intricate than a standard sole so am not sure how well a 3rd party would be able to re-sole them.

Shoemog

Reaction score
Channel stitching is not quite the dark art they make it out to be. Whilst its not a job for the supermarket cobbler (no offence Timpson or equivalent!) it can be done by skilled ones. It's work asking who the local shops might use - there's a 'famous' cobblers (a few others actually) whom all the jermyn street brand use for either smaller repairs or if going back to factory isn't possible for whatever reason. They don't have the original last of course but the one I know can do all sorts of resoling and touch ups.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Channel stitching is not quite the dark art they make it out to be. Whilst its not a job for the supermarket cobbler (no offence Timpson or equivalent!) it can be done by skilled ones. It's work asking who the local shops might use - there's a 'famous' cobblers (a few others actually) whom all the jermyn street brand use for either smaller repairs or if going back to factory isn't possible for whatever reason. They don't have the original last of course but the one I know can do all sorts of resoling and touch ups.

What is the point of "the original last"?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's really bad!! Were the shoes that bad in the end?

Not from USA but had a very positive experience from both Crocket & Jones + Loake factory. Both were sole faults which they refitted and re polished almost as new!! They weren't that old to be fair but it was really good.

That sounds really awful, but it's not a Cheaney experience. Cheaney says your shoes come back in virtually new shape. That's enticing. Also, I have many Imperial collection shoes. The soles on these are much more intricate than a standard sole so am not sure how well a 3rd party would be able to re-sole them.

What is the point of "the original last"?

Fair point that Cheaney is not Church's.

I agree that a skilled reputable cobbler can do anything in terms of repair, AND also customize anything you want.

The original last while nice, is not absolutely necessary. Cobblers can adapt the lasts they have on hand, to be modded to fit your shoe.

Let us know what you decide! And post your pics and a review. I have some Cheaney boots and may send back to them if other enthusiasts have a positive experience.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I've had 2 pairs refurbished by Cheaney. Not such a difficult choice as I live nearby. I don't very often as I have a large rotation and also find that the price of buying seconds competes with the price of refurbishment.

The first pair, a pair of grain leather Derby brogues in a sleek 205 last were very much worth it. The kind of uppers that age well.

The second pair were suede chukkas. I had worn the dainites thin, the heels completely and worn holes in the lining. Cheaneys replaced everything and patched over the linings but the fitting to the sole at the back of one boot wasn't great. In general the work still left them looking worn out so not worth it. I eventually replaced them and should have done so earlier.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads