• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

khughes44

Reaction score
IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_1541.jpeg
Avon R in Dark Leaf.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Well it appears once mistake has destroyed my new Cheaney boots. Due to the unique color of whiskey, I did not buy a polish for these shoes, instead getting a jar of Saphir Renovateur. Unfortunately, I bought the wrong kind, the kind for Cordovan leather. This is a much harder, waxy material than the regular Renovateur, which I have never used before.

Sadly, applying this type of Renovateur has utterly destroyed the color and texture of my brand new boots. This post is a warning that hopefully can save someone the pain of seeing $600 boots turned into trash.

The photo below is after many deep cleanings, and at least four applications during the past several months of the proper form of Renovateur. Nothing improves the look of these boots. They look like garbage compared to before I messed up using the wrong product.

53377655148_c4f0cd3ba4_b.jpg

Boggis

Reaction score
Well it appears once mistake has destroyed my new Cheaney boots. Due to the unique color of whiskey, I did not buy a polish for these shoes, instead getting a jar of Saphir Renovateur. Unfortunately, I bought the wrong kind, the kind for Cordovan leather. This is a much harder, waxy material than the regular Renovateur, which I have never used before.

Sadly, applying this type of Renovateur has utterly destroyed the color and texture of my brand new boots. This post is a warning that hopefully can save someone the pain of seeing $600 boots turned into trash.

The photo below is after many deep cleanings, and at least four applications during the past several months of the proper form of Renovateur. Nothing improves the look of these boots. They look like garbage compared to before I messed up using the wrong product.

Have you tried asking about it on the shoe care thread on here? There's some fairly knowledgeable folk about this forum that might know how to rescue them. This is the Hurricane in Kudu leather yes? I'm not really at all familiar with Kudu, but I understand it's an inherently wrinkly leather, but that's kind of the point as they're supposed to age into a distinctive patina. The photo makes it look like you've lost pigment from the leather, hopefully someone on the shoe care thread can steer you in the right direction. Another thought is reaching out to Cheaney directly, they might have a suggestion. Hope you can get them sorted.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Have you tried asking about it on the shoe care thread on here? There's some fairly knowledgeable folk about this forum that might know how to rescue them. This is the Hurricane in Kudu leather yes? I'm not really at all familiar with Kudu, but I understand it's an inherently wrinkly leather, but that's kind of the point as they're supposed to age into a distinctive patina. The photo makes it look like you've lost pigment from the leather, hopefully someone on the shoe care thread can steer you in the right direction. Another thought is reaching out to Cheaney directly, they might have a suggestion. Hope you can get them sorted.

Yeah, a single applicaation of this wrong Renovateur stripped out a lot of pigment. There's damage all over the shoes. It's heart breaking to see brand new boots trashed like this. The jars of Renovateur are sooo similar. I had no idea i grabbed the wrong one. I never used the stuff before, as all my other shoes can use cream polishes that are colored. These boots didnt last a week.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Yeah, a single applicaation of this wrong Renovateur stripped out a lot of pigment. There's damage all over the shoes. It's heart breaking to see brand new boots trashed like this. The jars of Renovateur are sooo similar. I had no idea i grabbed the wrong one. I never used the stuff before, as all my other shoes can use cream polishes that are colored. These boots didnt last a week.
In future I wouldn’t use Renovateur at all on Kudu, just cream or wax polish once in a while as it’s a “natural” leather

shoefan57

Reaction score
I also think your boots can recover. Looks like a very waxy layer on them . Just keep wearing and brushing. My guess is that the original colour will return but if not, once the cordovan Renovateur has worn off apply Saphir Mahogany shoe cream as it’s similar to the Whiskey colour. I have the same boots.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My suggestion is to not apply anything, just breath, use them and brush brush brush and brush.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score

Just brush regularly/often and for longer durations and do it rigourously. Apply nothing to them. And let it breathe indoors at room temperature rather than exposing to extreme weather variations. And hopefully it will clear up with time. Personally I dont think they are destroyed. Just my two pennies.

rakuskus

Reaction score

I did the same thing with my Tricker’s. I agree with the others, it is reversible. What I did is just wear them and brush brush brush and wipe wipe wipe.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will follow the advice and keep at it. I'll report back sometime in the future on any success. Appreciate it!

shoefan57

Reaction score
Breaking in these Cley boots made by Cheaney. Unlike my other boots made in the same last, these are giving me a hard time to break in. They are tight at the ball of the foot and I’m hoping they give otherwise I’ll have to take them to the cobbler to stretch.

View attachment 1826065
View attachment 1826066
These are just like my mahogany grain Jarrows bought this year from the new season’s range. Mine are way too tight across the vamp. Had them stretched now. I even sized up half a size! Must be the nature of the toe cap stitching? Can’t think of any other reason yours and mine suffer from the same problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads