• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Challenging Fashion Question

BillG

Reaction score
I have a somewhat challenging fashion question (at least to me), so I though I would seek guidance; hopefully if will give some of the more knowledgeable amongst you a decent challenge.

I find myself in need of custom (beyond athletic fit) clothing at a very cheap price

I recently started graduate school and need a new, professional wardrobe. Most of my compatriots attend class in custom shirts, and jackets/ties are often present at lectures.

However, I also do part time emergency disaster relief work, which has allowed me to keep in quite good shape - My shoulders fit a size 52, whereas my waist is a size 33.

Starting to see the problem?

To further complicate issues, I'm already broke from loans and only going deeper in debt - I recognize that I'm going to have to shell out some money for clothes, but cheaper is better. Basically, I can't afford to have a custom set of clothes made.

I've looked into buying the closest fits I can, then having them tailored - is this the best way to go? If so, what shirts would you recommend?

Thanks a lot -

Bill

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find a lot of great clothes at insanely cheap prices in the Buy & Sell forum here. Likewise eBay.

If you don't have the money to get your clothes made to measure (and I think the vast majority of other posters are in the same boat) you just have to buy the closest fit you can, and then get it tailored as necessary -- as you suggested.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesus, you have a drop 19...thats insane. Most OTR is drop 7 or at most 8. I'd try to find a place that sells separates (meaning you need not buy the suit jacket and pants together). Banana Republic and JCrew do separates.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you are a US 52 jacket? that's like Mr. Incredible body type
374590-119941-mr-incredible_large.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Jesus, you have a drop 19...thats insane.
Originally Posted by HRoi
you are a US 52 jacket?
I assumed he meant 52eu/42US, but if he didn't I guess it would explain why he has a hard time finding clothes. But are those even plausible proportions?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BillG
I have a somewhat challenging fashion question (at least to me), so I though I would seek guidance; hopefully if will give some of the more knowledgeable amongst you a decent challenge.

I find myself in need of custom (beyond athletic fit) clothing at a very cheap price

I recently started graduate school and need a new, professional wardrobe. Most of my compatriots attend class in custom shirts, and jackets/ties are often present at lectures.

However, I also do part time emergency disaster relief work, which has allowed me to keep in quite good shape - My shoulders fit a size 52, whereas my waist is a size 33.

Starting to see the problem?

To further complicate issues, I'm already broke from loans and only going deeper in debt - I recognize that I'm going to have to shell out some money for clothes, but cheaper is better. Basically, I can't afford to have a custom set of clothes made.

I've looked into buying the closest fits I can, then having them tailored - is this the best way to go? If so, what shirts would you recommend?

Thanks a lot -

Bill

you mean 42 chest (52 euro)?

anyways yes. this is a challenging fashion question. but a perennial one and ever universal.

everybody has a challenging body type , lot like yours, some reverse, some stick figured, some portly, etc.

everyone can benefit from custom tailored clothing. but not everyone has an unlimited budget.

so we are all in this quest to find the best closest fits with the least amount of money. so as you see, your quest is not unique.

this is what this forum is about. read and learn and enjoy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads