• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

century 21 woodlore tree shoes?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need 6 tree shoes...c21 has woodlores for about $13...are these any good or should I spring for something more expensive?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
obviously the most important thing is fit. if it fits nice, buy it. if it doesn't, then don't. buy different shoe trees from different companies to outfit your entire army of different shoe lasts. the last thing i think about is whether or not the quality of the cedar is up to par...to me, the differences are negligible as long as i'm not soaking my nice shoes in puddles and rainstorms.

thomaus247

Reaction score
Woodlores are usually sized s,m,l. A size large is quoted (on the label) as fitting sizes 11N-12N, 10M-11M & 8.5W-9.5W. If your shoe is at the large end of any of these scales, there will not be enough "tension" for the shoe tree to be beneficial. So, I would recommend confirming that the shoe tree will fit snugly into your shoe. For the money, it is a good shoe tree, made of cedar. There are most likely better more expensive ones out there. But, it will be good for your shoes, you can always trade up at a later date.

TM
www.mausandhoffman.com

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, I've acquired some decent shoes (santoni fam, lobb, c&j, AE) and I'd like to protect my investment. Another $10-$20 per shoe tree is not going to kill me.

what would I "trade up" to?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What you'd "trade up" to is probably the exact same trees, but for $30 instead of $13.

Unless you want the Woodlore epics from Cedarville. I love them. Some have concerns about sizing and fit with the Epics, so do a search and read up. But most of the other $30 trees you'll find will wind up being the very same model available at C21 for 60% less.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
What about Woodlore Ultras?

Oh, you just had to go there. I knew someone would. They're fancier, but I'm not convinced they're any more functional than the regular Woodlores.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
What you'd "trade up" to is probably the exact same trees, but for $30 instead of $13.

Unless you want the Woodlore epics from Cedarville. I love them. Some have concerns about sizing and fit with the Epics, so do a search and read up. But most of the other $30 trees you'll find will wind up being the very same model available at C21 for 60% less.

I actually did search for "woodlore" and read a bunch of threads before posting. It seems that some people are not completely happy with the epics. What is the incremental difference in quality between the C21 model and the epic?

tia,
jd

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
I actually did search for "woodlore" and read a bunch of threads before posting. It seems that some people are not completely happy with the epics. What is the incremental difference in quality between the C21 model and the epic?

tia,
jd

The Epic has dual brass rods and a differently shaped split at the toe, as well as a fuller heel. It may not be for everyone; I have wide feet (and shoes), and fid them to be excellent. YMMV.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Epics also had a problem early on w/ the knob coming off in your hand when you tried to remove the tree. Woodlore will send you replacements...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 6 pairs of epics, they work great. I dont understand why the Ultras cost more. they look cheaper to make

JeffC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomaus247
Woodlores are usually sized s,m,l. A size large is quoted (on the label) as fitting sizes 11N-12N, 10M-11M & 8.5W-9.5W. If your shoe is at the large end of any of these scales, there will not be enough "tension" for the shoe tree to be beneficial. So, I would recommend confirming that the shoe tree will fit snugly into your shoe. For the money, it is a good shoe tree, made of cedar. There are most likely better more expensive ones out there. But, it will be good for your shoes, you can always trade up at a later date.

TM
www.mausandhoffman.com

This is not even close to what the cedarville store shows for a L. It's closer to the Medium sizing. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Jeff

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The Epic has dual brass rods and a differently shaped split at the toe, as well as a fuller heel. It may not be for everyone; I have wide feet (and shoes), and fid them to be excellent. YMMV.
I have wide feet and wide shoes, but the Epics still ruin the narrower parts, the waist and the heel, if you're below size 10 or so.

It's very different from your ordinary trees, that's a given.

The Woodlore trees in C21 are available only in XL now.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I have wide feet and wide shoes, but the Epics still ruin the narrower parts, the waist and the heel, if you're below size 10 or so.

It's very different from your ordinary trees, that's a given.

The Woodlore trees in C21 are available only in XL now.

I'm in agreement with you now, josepidal. I have 2 pairs of epics and they did stretch out the heel of a pair of my FAMs; I've relegated them to other shoes now and will stick to the standard Rochester trees sold locally. (Also it took about 2 months for Woodlore to ship my Epics.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads