• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ccomment on the fit of the 8000 last vs. C&J 337; Corthay 001; EG 888/89?

pledge

Reaction score
C&J 337 and Corthay 001 lasts fit me perfectly. Which of the other abovementioned lasts would fit me best based on your experience?

Taxler

Reaction score
I can wear the EG's in any last, but the Lobb 8000 is to full. I can go down in width on the Lobb, but then the toe is too narrow.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to help you as much as I can.

I have Edward Green, C&J and Lobb on those lasts, but no Corthay.

C&J for Polo on the 337 : 9 US D
EG for RLPL on the 888 : 9/9.5 D (UK/US Size)
Lobb on the 8000 : 8.5 UK E

Some caveats before I proceed. I have C&J for Polo which were made for the US market obviously. They are narrower than the C&J UK E width shoes in the same size imo. One of my polo boxes is marked as 9 US, 8.5 UK. I've tried on a pair of Savilles (monkstrap, 337 last) in C&J's Jermyn St. shop and found the 8.5UK E much too loose, esp. in the heel. The D width Polo Sheldons (same shoe as Saville, just different buckle) are snug. Thus, I will probably never order from Plal as E width won't fit my foot which is a US C width or slightly narrow.

The great debate concerning RLPL Edward Greens D width and whether or not it equals Edward Green E width as far as I am concerned not really a debate at all. They DO NOT EQUAL each other. I had a pair of 9/9.5 E 888 Grants that were too loose everywhere and req'd insoles to make them wearable. I ended up selling them after a few wearings due to the poor fit. I have 2 pairs of the Grants in 9/9.5 D and they are narrower and fit my foot much better. In my experience EG does not relabel their E width shoes to D for RLPL, they just use a narrower D width last and mark them so. Apparently, the 89 is a roomier last than the 888, but I have no personal experience so I will not comment. From what I have read, it seems most people go down 1/2 size from their 888 size to get a similar fit on the 89.

Now that those caveats are out of the way, here are some comments on fit.

C&J for Polo, 337: Longest last=biggest shoe, but somehow tighter in the heel and outside ball of the foot. These are my tightest fit shoes despite their elongated last. They do feel a little more substantial walking wise vs my EG and Lobbs.

EG for RLPL, 888: These shoes are smaller than my 337 and fit just great. They are snug without being tight.

Lobb, 8000: UK E width = slightly loose in the heel for me, just not quite as snug as EG. The rest of the shoes fits well and the toe box is a little tight heighth wise. The 8000 last doesn't feature the Northampton bump that a lot of English lasts do, so it tapers more towards the end and thus I can feel a litte more pressure their on the top of my toe. Nothing major and to be honest, I've only worn them twice so they are not broken in yet.

Hope this helps.

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
I'll try to help you as much as I can.

I have Edward Green, C&J and Lobb on those lasts, but no Corthay.

C&J for Polo on the 337 : 9 US D
EG for RLPL on the 888 : 9/9.5 D (UK/US Size)
Lobb on the 8000 : 8.5 UK E

Some caveats before I proceed. I have C&J for Polo which were made for the US market obviously. They are narrower than the C&J UK E width shoes in the same size imo. One of my polo boxes is marked as 9 US, 8.5 UK. I've tried on a pair of Savilles (monkstrap, 337 last) in C&J's Jermyn St. shop and found the 8.5UK E much too loose, esp. in the heel. The D width Polo Sheldons (same shoe as Saville, just different buckle) are snug. Thus, I will probably never order from Plal as E width won't fit my foot which is a US C width or slightly narrow.

The great debate concerning RLPL Edward Greens D width and whether or not it equals Edward Green E width as far as I am concerned not really a debate at all. They DO NOT EQUAL each other. I had a pair of 9/9.5 E 888 Grants that were too loose everywhere and req'd insoles to make them wearable. I ended up selling them after a few wearings due to the poor fit. I have 2 pairs of the Grants in 9/9.5 D and they are narrower and fit my foot much better. In my experience EG does not relabel their E width shoes to D for RLPL, they just use a narrower D width last and mark them so. Apparently, the 89 is a roomier last than the 888, but I have no personal experience so I will not comment. From what I have read, it seems most people go down 1/2 size from their 888 size to get a similar fit on the 89.

Now that those caveats are out of the way, here are some comments on fit.

C&J for Polo, 337: Longest last=biggest shoe, but somehow tighter in the heel and outside ball of the foot. These are my tightest fit shoes despite their elongated last. They do feel a little more substantial walking wise vs my EG and Lobbs.

EG for RLPL, 888: These shoes are smaller than my 337 and fit just great. They are snug without being tight.

Lobb, 8000: UK E width = slightly loose in the heel for me, just not quite as snug as EG. The rest of the shoes fits well and the toe box is a little tight heighth wise. The 8000 last doesn't feature the Northampton bump that a lot of English lasts do, so it tapers more towards the end and thus I can feel a litte more pressure their on the top of my toe. Nothing major and to be honest, I've only worn them twice so they are not broken in yet.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. sartort, your reply is wonderful. thanks again for sharing your experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics