• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Non-Prestigous College Dress

Cyaneus

Reaction score
Today, I saw a kid in the library of my local community college wearing a really nice heavy wool car coat, really nice pair of Edward Greenes, a white oxford shirt, and he was carrying a nice leather briefcase instead of a backpack. All very nice clothes, maybe a miss on fit with the coat, and he didn't look particularly healthy as he was really, really scrawny. Despite the choice of excellently made clothes, it looked like a costume. It didn't making any sense, spending $1,000 on your outfit while attending a $75/credit community college. On top of it, he looked 16 years old, with a poor comb over style hair cut, and he probably weighed less than his coat.

So, how should a non-ivy league college student dress?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a ton of threads about dressing for college.

Cyaneus

Reaction score
After about fifteen pages in the search and very little information, a new thread on the topic is a good idea.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cyaneus
After about fifteen pages in the search and very little information, a new thread on the topic is a good idea.

Not really.

Quite boring in fact, student apparel is well covered so when you have 1000 posts to your name consider your statement,

Cyaneus

Reaction score
Yeah you are right. If a mod sees this I think it'd be fine to delete it. I got everything I need to know.

runofthedill

Reaction score
Im in Masters of Accounting Program at a top 10 business school and were expected to dress up, although we never do, its funny when someone does and looks awful, especially the MBA's who love wearing suits that make them look like flight attendants.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of using "college" in the google search far, use the search function just for this section of the forum.

CJones

Reaction score
Dress how you want to dress. Don't let the fact that you are attending a non-Ivy League college negatively affect your style. If you want to dress as a classic Ivy-League guy would, go for it. I know a handful of persons that attend Yale, and none of them have acquired any Ivy style. They still wear flip flops, hoodies, graphic tees, and, when the time is right, an ill-fitting suit. They probably don't think, "Hey, I'm attending a $2000 dollar per credit college. I should buy some good clothes."

Neither should you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads