• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean the opposite. Since the chassis on these cars are lighter and more rigid, their suspensions work more efficiently. Hence, Ferraris and Porsches are much more comfortable than people might imagine.

What I meant was there is a clear difference in driver feeling between a 430 and a Scuderia, a 360 and a Stradale, a 458 and a Speciale. At least that's what I felt driving them on the same road conditions.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm surprised this has not been said yet given the legit double entendre: peak oil.

Ha.

For what it's worth, Driven race oil seems to be the top dog choice right now. Most other GT3 owners, however, are waiting until after their warranties run out to switch.

That translates to less then 2,000 miles per interval, can you see how that might seem like overkill when most dealership service centers recommend 5,000 miles? I've had a master certified Ferrari technician state to my face that 7500 miles is completely fine for my engine and in the manner I drive (like a grandma most of the time). He even stated I could go 10K if I so chose to.

I think you'd need to have a candid, under-the-table conversation with someone senior and inside the company to confirm. A front line guy like your technician has to tow the official party line. He also simply may not know, not being behind the actual engineering and development.

The guys who engineered my car don't follow the break-in procedure or oil change guidelines laid out in the user manual. I do what they do, not what the paper says.

Anyway, changing more often can only be beneficial.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10k? Bro, you want to risk it like that? I don't think so.
Not sure if that is directed at me, but as I stated I don't risk it like that, instead choosing an in-between at 7500 miles.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I literally posted a link to Porsche's recommendation for the GT3 which is 12,000 miles. Most modern cars are either 5k or 10k miles using synthetic oil.

I'm glad you know more than the engineers at the manufacturers though.
Here to help. :wink:

@TheFoo This is a conundrum. best to research the oils yourself. via specs, and anecdotes.

-there could be a chance that "Wako's" Oils are approved. through Rauhwelt , and the JDM connection. They are known on a ground level as motorsports first oils. or "Craft Oils" if you will. small batch. no compromise.
You could contact the more "Boutique" Porsche guys, to feel it out. on your end. because of course i can get the oil. but you'd need a guy there to order it.

otherwise, you can go with the best from Elf. or even the Greddy Blue. (goes in Blue, loses colour over time)

Ran Motul for a while. but with an engine failure, i can't honestly endorse it. even if that engine went through hell. it's compromised.

got a list of approved fluids?

here? Wako's.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha.

For what it's worth, Driven race oil seems to be the top dog choice right now. Most other GT3 owners, however, are waiting until after their warranties run out to switch.

I think you'd need to have a candid, under-the-table conversation with someone senior and inside the company to confirm. A front line guy like your technician has to tow the official party line.

The guys who engineered my car don't follow the break-in procedure or oil change guidelines laid out in the user manual. I do what they do, not what the paper says.

Anyway, changing more often can only be beneficial.

Like I said he's a friend of mine and it was an off the cuff conversation after hours and away from earshot from the service gestapo's. It was his own personal advice to help me save some money and time. I use to do it every 5K for more then half the life of my vehicle. Also its a Honda Civic not a Porsche GT3 we are comparing here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here to help. :wink:

@TheFoo This is a conundrum. best to research the oils yourself. via specs, and anecdotes.

-there could be a chance that "Wako's" Oils are approved. through Rauhwelt , and the JDM connection. They are known on a ground level as motorsports first oils. or "Craft Oils" if you will. small batch. no compromise.
You could contact the more "Boutique" Porsche guys, to feel it out. on your end. because of course i can get the oil. but you'd need a guy there to order it.

otherwise, you can go with the best from Elf. or even the Greddy Blue. (goes in Blue, loses colour over time)

Ran Motul for a while. but with an engine failure, i can't honestly endorse it. even if that engine went through hell. it's compromised.

got a list of approved fluids?

here? Wako's.

Funny you mention Motul, because that is the best oil on the approved list. Not the motorsport-grade stuff, but the 5w40 100% synthetic oil they brand as "8100 X-cess". Most of the GT3 guys on Rennlist are using it.

However, the 300V race oil is supposed to be the optimal one from Motul (as confirmed by both Motul and informally by Porsche).

Have you heard of a U.S. oil company called Driven? A lot of the Porsche Cup teams use it in their GT3s. Supposedly it is the best stuff available to consumers, period.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yes, the feeling of quality is palpable. Unshakeable chassis and precise controls go a long way.

I continue to be amazed by how comfortable the ride is. Very compliant and well-damped. Not even Manhattan potholes unsettle the car. You feel the bumps but never any aftershocks or lateral to-and-fro.

Same here. The ride is very comfy given the performance level.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BMW Vision M Next

The kidney grilles are no longer conjoined. But they are also covered by glass panels laser-etched with mini BMW roundels. Also it looks like they just re-skinned an NSX.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads