• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's mainly cranking the clarity or local contrast/structure slider up to 11 when you shoot under cloudy or overcast conditions.

Exactly. Boost contrast & saturation and sharpen, don't shoot a midday and wonder how you didn't see all the streaks before you left the house.

DSC00146b.jpg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had to pull our son from his school in Florida due to COVID uncertainty. To soften the blow, will probably get him a car so he can drive to the new one here, which is about 8 miles from our house. Thoughts on good options for first-time drivers? Safe and slow sounds like a good combination. He wants a ******* truck, probably because he was up until recently at school in Florida, as I may have mentioned. Don't even like to think about what our insurance rates are going to do.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had to pull our son from his school in Florida due to COVID uncertainty. To soften the blow, will probably get him a car so he can drive to the new one here, which is about 8 miles from our house. Thoughts on good options for first-time drivers? Safe and slow sounds like a good combination. He wants a ******* truck, probably because he was up until recently at school in Florida, as I may have mentioned. Don't even like to think about what our insurance rates are going to do.
Toyota Corolla or some other econobox car. Get the cheapest version possible if the car is going to be given to him for free.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corolla, Civic, Jetta, Forte/Hyundai equivalent, CPO Jaguar XE (they’re stupid cheap), Nissan Altima.

I rent from enterprise when I have long drives and don’t want to rack up miles on my M2. I’ve been most impressed with Nissan and Toyota.

My first car was a $2000 STS with no heat or AC. I don’t know what I did wrong because my dad owned a used car dealership at the time. My insurance was more than my car.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corolla all the way. My secretary got her son a used one. It's his first car, he has had it a few years, has hit a bunch of things, been in an accident, and the exterior is a mess now (make sure he has plenty of insurance). However, its cheap to run, and it just keeps going. None of the people in our office are car people, they all have Toyotas, and put lots of miles on them with minimal maintenance. The senior partner put 350,000 on one of his before getting rid of it.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Corolla, Civic, Jetta, Forte/Hyundai equivalent, CPO Jaguar XE (they’re stupid cheap), Nissan Altima.

I rent from enterprise when I have long drives and don’t want to rack up miles on my M2. I’ve been most impressed with Nissan and Toyota.

My first car was a $2000 STS with no heat or AC. I don’t know what I did wrong because my dad owned a used car dealership at the time. My insurance was more than my car.

XE? The cheapest certified on Cars.com in the country is $22k -- probably stupid cheap by Omega's standard, but not what I would define as stupid cheap. A certified Corolla can be had for ~$10k.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
XE? The cheapest certified on Cars.com in the country is $22k -- probably stupid cheap by Omega's standard, but not what I would define as stupid cheap. A certified Corolla can be had for ~$10k.
True. I figured at or under $20k is where he was looking. Trucks are crazy money unless you get an old one, so I threw in a luxury option.

Corolla is probably the most reliable option. I drove a Camry for a month when my old car was totaled. I’ve driven a few Toyotas with 400,000+ miles and wouldn’t have known about the extreme mileage if I hadn’t looked at the odometer.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
most barebone Jeep would be cheap, though not that safe I assume. Most my rental has been Korean cars and I have been impressed if you ask me, 2nd hand would be even cheaper

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Eight miles? Maybe a bike?

Reaction score
Get an F150, they're great trucks and cheap as hell. My dad just bought a 2016 80K miles for 15K last week. Insurance is going to be a nightmare no matter what. The only caveat is that if you own a truck you better be using it for real work, so maybe you should buy him a lawnmower too and he can start paying it off!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is not your childhood.

Let's nope not. If it was he'd work his ass off for a year and then you'd legally steal it from him with threats of arrest if he used it without your permission.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it’s not highway, bicycle would be a serious good option. 16 miles a day should be no easy (unless it’s uphill...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads