• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't get the 6-speed E60 M5. That is a hamstrung car made only to satisfy the odd American fetish for manual gearboxes. That car was designed for SMG --- get it the way ze Germans intended it to be.

American fetish for manual gearboxes? That's something new :confused:

GF. I see an Interlagos blue M5 with only 10k miles for $37k in Boston. Too bad it's the SMG. Such low miles though...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The R8's sound ok, they just need some gas. It's the RS4 motor, it has a bit of growl to it. The 5.2 V10 sounds pretty nice too.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

dates? really? You'll just look like a member of the bridge and tunnel crowd and you have to stay sober all night. The true baller "date" is a cab ride home with a **** in the back seat.

weekend trips and visiting out of town family is the only reasons I'd miss a car, and in these instances I just rent. It's maybe $100 each way, which is a lot cheaper than a garage at $450 a month + insurance.

also, I'd rather have a root canal than try to find a spot to park in Soho.

+1, I love driving, but love not having to have responsibility for a car in the city. Being able to drink and get around with your people safely is great, and drinking and driving is for assholes.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

+1, I love driving, but love not having to have responsibility for a car in the city.

this. I love cars and driving too (well, i don't enjoy driving unless it's in a great car), and I still read and post in this thread frequently even though I haven't owned a car in like 6 years.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you can afford it... having any car in NYC is awesome, especially on weekend trips/shopping/grocery runs, dates, visiting family, and especially at night when traffic is gone you want to go somewhere. The ideal car here is a beater... what type of beater is up to you.

:thumbsup:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BMW X4 leaked... http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-x4...how-debut/?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1458_7603418

Apart from the wheels I like it.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with Larry and Gomey. Having a car in NYC is both a boon and a burden.

Parking, whether on the street or through a garage is a pain ********** and can get incredibly expensive either through the garage fees or inevitably forgetting to move your car and getting towed.

Having a car for a weekend getaway, costco runs, visiting home, golf trips, etc would be awesome though.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'd do:

• if I just want to get some kind of hatchback BEATER (I'm talking like early 2000's Golf or Focus ZX3) and not care much about it
  • going with something I'd actually enjoy driving with some luxury, but worrying if some asshole is going to side swipe, bump while parallel parking, or parking garage attendent taking a turn too shallow.

I'll probably just hem and haw about this until I no longer live in Manhattan which will hopefully make the decision easier.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
my ideal situation would be if Frog moved to NYC after buying that M5, then I'd just slip him $60 and a full tank of gas so I can take the car to buy my Lysol and Tide at the Target in Jersey City followed by ramps and carrots at the markets in the Bronx.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

American fetish for manual gearboxes? That's something new :confused:

The 6-speed E60 M5 was made after lots of whining by the American car intelligentsia, and is meant only for the US market. It's a really compromised car.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 6-speed E60 M5 was made after lots of whining by the American car intelligentsia, and is meant only for the US market. It's a really compromised car.

I guess coming from the 6 speed M/T only E39 people still wanted that connection.

Funny how the American automotive market skews compared to the rest of the word regarding A/T vs M/T.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Americans know F1 by name but aren't really big into F1 like the rest of the world, so the sequential ******** without clutch pedals still bother Americans, it was a memo they never got.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SMG costs more to maintain and is just feels wierd IMHO

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Froggy

Just move to Long(guh) Island and you can blast up and down Southern State, Cross Island and the Belt Parkway

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ Froggy

Just move to Long[COLOR=0000FF](guh)[/COLOR] Island and you can blast up and down Southern State, Cross Island and the Belt Parkway

given GF's track record with getting snagged by highway patrol for speeding tickets... those specific highways will bankrupt (and possibly imprison) him before memorial day weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads