Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

given GF's track record with getting snagged by highway patrol for speeding tickets... those specific highways will bankrupt (and possibly imprison) him before memorial day weekend.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

jersey cops are totally cool with kids speeding in BMW's :sly:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not sure if this is just an american thing, though. Those early generation semi auto trannies just sucked. They were like the 1 2 3 clunking up the gears in automatic transmissions by hand.

The sequential F1 transmission shifts in milliseconds. You're talking about the difference between a fighter jet and a Cessna.

Its possible some later gen versions of these trannies in road cars are better, but I hear complaints as recently as a couple of years ago these sucked in the high end like Aston Martin and Ferrari.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

the dual clutches make all the difference in the world. the BMW SMG and Lamborghini e-gear just plain suck. the BMW DCT, Audi DSG, and whatever Ferrari calls what they have in the Italia are just plain amazing and pretty much have no significant drawbacks. once everyone catches up with those companies there will be no practical reason to drive a manual other than preference

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

^^You've driven the Italia? /jealous

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i was amazed at how fast the 430 shifted with the paddles, but apparently the 458 is like a fraction of that. Cannot compute.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

I don't like how DSGs sound: their upshifts sound like automatic slushboxes where one gear slurs into another instead of distinct notes of the engine winding down. I know that's why they're faster, but I don't like how they sound.

Anyway shift speed is important only for upshifts. Downshift speeds are a red herring. Also more manual gearboxes do the engine blip on downshifts so you don't need to learn how to heel-toe anymore. The 370Z's H-pattern gearbox does this, as do the F10 5 series', I'm told.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Honestly.. I don't know WTF I want to do and it's driving me insane. If there's ONE reason why I don't want to move to NYC, it's because I cannot own and reasonably utilize a car to the extent I would want to.

I've considered moving to Austin and Cali, to your point, but NYC is where careers are made.. and it's just a fantastic city that I most definitely want to live in before I'm 30.

Also, re: depreciation, I'm of the belief that the E60s have pretty much reached their price floor and we'll see the 08+s in decent condition to hover around the mid-30s ~ mid 40s mark for awhile. I'm not too worried about depreciation.

The fuel costs, OTOH, :cry:.

Yeah.. and maintenance would cost you $5K/year!

Yeah.. I mean, I'm more worried about the parking situation. or to be more precise, parking when you're GOING somewhere. If I was absolutely positive I was going to get a car in NYC, I'd spring for the nicer car and just pay monthly for the parking garage. But to your point, it'd be a bitch to find parking anywhere I'd go.

Link?!

:laugh:

We could arrange for that!

Sorry, but hells no.

This.

:(

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

^you're in your twenties? Go to New York, live large. You have plenty of time for cars later

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

^ or tell him to shut the fuck up already and quit over thinking it in public. You want it or you don't.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yessir..

I love that you're all riled up. I'm seriously going to talk about BMWs forever and ever until you voluntarily stop posting in this thread.

You literally add zero value and no one cares about your opinions.

Seriously, leave. No one wants you here; you're an outcast. Just... leave.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

[​IMG]

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The FCM would like to know what search terms you typed into Google to find this gif.

Similarly, the fact that you would invest the time to find a gif and post one as opposed to a regular text response completely negates the 'yawn, I don't care' attitude you are precisely intending to portray.

Lulz.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

technology is ruining cars

pretty soon as in right now you can't find a sports car with a proper gearbox

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

"Yawn gif"

Approx 15 seconds. You keep trying to sell us on that car, kid.