• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David J. Cooper

Reaction score
My 450sl.

20180513_102515.jpg

David J. Cooper

Reaction score
Yes. Much nicer then I expected. My parents bought it because they liked the colour. I ended up with it 3 months later. It came from Palm Desert.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks Great!!! I really like the old R107 SL from 1973-1989. Its a shape that I think has aged better than its 1990's replacement the R129, which now just looks very dated. The R107 is a classic design and a great cruiser (I got to drive an R107 560SL many years ago). Congrats and wow, it has been many years since I've seen a yellow SL (am not even sure that color was available in the 80's, which was during the last half of the R107's production). Someone else here on the forum, who usually posts on some wristwatch and clothing threads picked up a green 450SL not that long ago. There is a house about 2 miles from me, where someone has a white 450SL with a blue hardtop sitting in their driveway rusting :-(. Sadly it's too far gone for it to be worth someone's effort to save it. Someone could just buy one in far better condition for less money than the cost of parts and labor to save it.

Anyway, congrats again on your SL. It's always nice to see some vintage cars here. Cheers!:cheers:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That car is fantastic! I low-key wish the miata was super bright, but it's really not that great an idea for a sleeper haha. Though I guess the hood vents attract tons of attention...

The 2017 is actually about the same weight. You may be right that weight and other tech that uses electricity ultimately is responsible for the lack of change. Or manufacturers aren't spending much time on naturally aspirated v6 engines.

Things look to be moving to tiny motor with a turbo or giant motor NA. Direct injection has really helped some if the big motor cars become more efficient.

I am curious to see how mazdas crazy new motor works in the real world and how it holds up.

Also the LFX is a decent example of a recent 6 cylinder.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like where this is going. It seems like you're catching the childhood car bug.

They're super reliable cars by the way...just as long as you LS swap them!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's exactly what i'm thinking - i want one of my childhood hero cars.

a 21k mile example just got auctioned off on BaT for $30k. i really considered bidding but my wife caught me looking at it and it caused a huge fight

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks Great!!! I really like the old R107 SL from 1973-1989. Its a shape that I think has aged better than its 1990's replacement the R129, which now just looks very dated. The R107 is a classic design and a great cruiser (I got to drive an R107 560SL many years ago). Congrats and wow, it has been many years since I've seen a yellow SL (am not even sure that color was available in the 80's, which was during the last half of the R107's production). Someone else here on the forum, who usually posts on some wristwatch and clothing threads picked up a green 450SL not that long ago. There is a house about 2 miles from me, where someone has a white 450SL with a blue hardtop sitting in their driveway rusting :-(. Sadly it's too far gone for it to be worth someone's effort to save it. Someone could just buy one in far better condition for less money than the cost of parts and labor to save it.

Anyway, congrats again on your SL. It's always nice to see some vintage cars here. Cheers!:cheers:

I had an '89 560SL in the late 90s/early 2000s. I sold it and bought dat ZHP because I had small kids and needed a back seat (but still had to have a convertible). The SL was a fantastic cruiser and was built wonderfully. Now that the kids are grown I sometimes wish I had mothballed the SL and kept it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an '89 560SL in the late 90s/early 2000s. I sold it and bought dat ZHP because I had small kids and needed a back seat (but still had to have a convertible). The SL was a fantastic cruiser and was built wonderfully. Now that the kids are grown I sometimes wish I had mothballed the SL and kept it.

Yea, I can imagine a bit of sellers remorse at letting that SL go.

The SL that I drove was an '89 560SL in black pearl metallic paint. At the time my dad was considering a 560SL or a 560SEC, so we drove both of them. I was only a teenager at the time and had a blast driving them. I know my wife would like to get a convertible at some point and I have toyed with the idea of adding a 560SL...especially at this time of year when I see them cruising around with the top down. Although, I'd have to add a lift since we have a 3 car garage and my daily already lives outside, and I'm not sure if I really have the time to put taking care of another nice car.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's exactly what i'm thinking - i want one of my childhood hero cars.

a 21k mile example just got auctioned off on BaT for $30k. i really considered bidding but my wife caught me looking at it and it caused a huge fight

Not too badly priced for a childhood hero car. However, might not be worth it if it leads to a big fight with the MRS. I'm sure you know saying, "Happy wife, happy life."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads