• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh lord those wheels are terrible. Yes, please do change them for alloys.

#nothelping

Corr, steady on. Ouch! :crazy:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a car hit by flying hubcaps? I have seen a few fly off while driving but I have luckily escaped the fate. Even the ones fastened on by the lugs seem to fly off.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a car hit by flying hubcaps? I have seen a few fly off while driving but I have luckily escaped the fate. Even the ones fastened on by the lugs seem to fly off.
I hate hubcaps. My first car had them (classic 1980 Buick Regal) and they would come off all the time. I would have to drive around and look for them. After a while, I just drove with steelies.

When I first met my wife, she drove a car with hubcaps and they started to squeak horribly. They were so loud it annoyed her enough that she bought wheels and tires off of tire rack and replaced them.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First gtr is way nicer, but i'd always pick an FD over it.
The FD is still generally cheaper too, but my research has shown that it’s closed the gap in no time. Wasn’t long ago that you could easily get a great copy under $20k, now i see asking prices from $30-45k. It smells exactly like the Porsche 993 boom of years ago.

I had a less hysterical conversation with my wife about a sixth car again last night, and she feels that next year is a better time. First i need to install a lift (so i can store these things), and then she wants me to take her on vacation.

Only trouble with that scenario is that the RX7 will likely be priced out of my range by then. Because i want something cheap, and if it gets to 993 prices, then i’d rather buy a 993.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when 993 prices were low. For what I plowed into my RSX over a couple years I could have had a great 993 example though daily driving one would have been more expensive and in grad school I was super poor so I likely would have sold it anyway. What a story that would have been....selling a 993 to get a Mazda 3 hatch.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate hubcaps. My first car had them (classic 1980 Buick Regal) and they would come off all the time. I would have to drive around and look for them. After a while, I just drove with steelies.

When I first met my wife, she drove a car with hubcaps and they started to squeak horribly. They were so loud it annoyed her enough that she bought wheels and tires off of tire rack and replaced them.

What kind of ****** hubcaps does everyone have?

My mom's old Golf had hubcaps and the only issues it ever had in 15+ years were the time one got stolen and when I broke one sliding it into a curb (and also damaged the rim).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when 993 prices were low. For what I plowed into my RSX over a couple years I could have had a great 993 example though daily driving one would have been more expensive and in grad school I was super poor so I likely would have sold it anyway. What a story that would have been....selling a 993 to get a Mazda 3 hatch.

Yes, insurance and maintenance would have cost you a lot more. Still it would have been an interesting story...but then you'd probably be kicking yourself for selling it when you did...and seeing what they go for now. I've met plenty of guys over the years who have sold off vintage, Porsches, BMWs, MBs, etc who are now kicking themselves for selling their cars.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Ok. I'm going to actually be constructive. and not just hate on the fanboy fave. The GTR.

Been through this before. But when i came to japan. the world was my oyster, i had a job, money, and someone to help me sign on a car. ANY car i want. but kept to a modest 10k budget. and if you think that is too slim? now yes. then? Some real meat on the bones.

The car i searched for was an FD. but i didn't have the time to search for a Manual. nearly kopped an Auto for 5k. RX8's were still fresh, as were 350Z's. oh how times have changed. epic deals to be had now.
I came within 5 minutes of kopping an N/A Z32 Fairlady Manual. which would have ticked all the boxes. - it is still sitting there. and looking sad. *Screams inside* I Actually looked hard at an R32 GTR. but the $8,800 price tag seemed ludicrous . it was suuuuper clean. cleaner than the two you linked. with less kilometers.

Real talk.
Why am i against the GTR's? Why didn't i buy one at $8,800?
Several reasons.
The 4 wheel drive setup makes them 200KG heavier in the front. not small by any means. that's the same weight as having a pig ratchet strapped to the Bonnet.
The Hi-cas 4 Wheel steering system was supposed to help. but it sucks. and everyone uses the Tomei kit to cancel it. (i did too).
which leaves you with? an unbalanced, under-steering heavyweight that can't handle spirited driving in the twisties. because to make a GTR handle? you need to overcome all the hurdles that it comes stock with.
(Weight x Traction)
There is a lot of hype around the GTR's. But when talking performance? They don't even do well what they were designed to do. - Dominate. well they did.against out dated tech (FRx pushrod V8), for a few years. but the Lancer Evo's 4-7 and Gc8 Sti's 4-6 put them to bed. so hard that they came back with the new GTR, that's how hard they got butthurt.

Did Toyota make a 4WD Supra? No, because it would be stupid. and handle stupid. but Nissan did it anyway.
The Supra is better for being FR. as are the Skylines.
Which is why i bought one. an R33 Gts25T. Type M.

for now, because you are chasing one, here is a cleaner example, i can have a friend ship to you. and you'd only need to wait a year.
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700054116330180410001/index.html
but:
This is THE Skyline in Purest form
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700070261330180530002/index.html
Fresh paint, super clean, only needs your mods? yes. at 15k
(Would go BBS LM'S or Volk SE37's, to start.and paint the engine bay.before really opening the wallet)
1996 (The year i had)
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700060001230170808001/index.html

4door?
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700957229730171201001/index.html

Shame you can't get this one.
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700060229130171030003/index.html
This is a serious car. and high on the list of Badass.

You guys got screwed. don't keep getting screwed. buy a GTs25t. with balanced,neutral handling, turbo 6 power, awesome shape,in 2- door or 4-door and all the support you could wish for.

For much less than a GTR, enjoy your driving. without the fanboy taxes.
They are ALL going up in value.
if you want FR? Gts25t ,Silvia, or FD.
if you want 4WD? Get An Evo or a Gc8.

The point is, those in the know would put a GTR at the end of the line. ,and shop for their driving style.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Lil'Vader, car show.
PSX_20180711_022947.jpg
PSX_20180711_022914.jpg
PSX_20180711_022809.jpg
PSX_20180711_022628.jpg
PSX_20180711_022531.jpg
PSX_20180711_022732.jpg
PSX_20180711_022706.jpg
PSX_20180711_022231.jpg
PSX_20180711_022115.jpg
PSX_20180711_022452.jpg
PSX_20180711_022329.jpg

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That blue datsun tho

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is, those in the know would put a GTR at the end of the line. ,and shop for their driving style.

But the GTR's were great in Gran Tourismo. That's how I found out about them. You could be a ****** driver in that game and still win a lot of races with that car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads