• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring x Carlos Santos, STAVERLEY, for another rainy day.

5d1fe9b0-5b6d-4b91-8254-9b346a682e54-jpeg.1804409

ViaSartoria

Reaction score

Peitron

Reaction score
First time posting in this forum.

Just bought my first two pairs of Carlos Santos shoes, boots to be more precise. Since I'm in the southern hemisphere, it's boot season here and European summer sales are hard to resist.

Since I wasn't familiar with the CS lasts and fitting on my feet, I opted to try out Herring and their Cordwainer Membership, which offers free shipping and free returns worldwide. I bought a pair of oxfords in 9UK, my size in TLB mainline, and they were too big. So I returned them and with the guidance of Sean at Herring, I ended up ordering the same model in boots, called the Herring Lawrie boots made by CS in the Z160 last.

I had my doubts about the last. It's slim and elongated and I was afraid it wouldn't work for me. I have flat feet, overpronate and have very low instep. I usually end up using insoles on medium instep shoes like Carmina Forest and TLB Main and Artista due to my "low volume".

The fit of the Z160 last was a surprise, particularly in the forefront. Low instep which for me was a blessing, snug but not tight, wiggle room and comfort. Just perfect.

Since I overpronate, I usually have gapping issues with slim heel shoes. I suspect that I'd have gapping on the Z160 last in regular shoes, but since these are boots, problem solved. (In addition, I think that boots hold ankles in place reducing my overpronation.)

Customer service at Herring was impecable. Very patient and quick replies. I ended up buying a second pair of CS Chealsea's on the 401 last that were on sale, just because of their great service.

Pics attached of first pair of boots.
PXL_20220708_010133037.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220707_230744917.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220707_230707855.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220707_230739360.PORTRAIT.jpg

lasting_good

Reaction score
Hi everyone, sizing question as I've never bought Carlos Santos before. I have been most accurately sized as 10.5A/C in Alden's Hampton last, so that's what I use as a reference. I saw a good deal on a 9UK pair of the 9889 oxfords and was wondering if you thought those would fit. Thanks!

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sizing question as I've never bought Carlos Santos before. I have been most accurately sized as 10.5A/C in Alden's Hampton last, so that's what I use as a reference. I saw a good deal on a 9UK pair of the 9889 oxfords and was wondering if you thought those would fit. Thanks!
Probably yes, even though I don't know how the Alden's Hampton last fit. ;)

According to the last description on The Noble Shoe site, the 9889 Oxford is built on the 445 last and they recommend sizing down from your TTS:

"Last 445: New Last that looks like Edward Green's 82. Fits very similar to the 401 so Size Down Half from your regular TTS".

I guess that this is the deal you saw:

Last edited:

Peitron

Reaction score

I haven't tried that Alden last, looks like it's narrow. The 445/401 lasts are not narrow. I believe they are a UK F.

I take a 10.5D on AE 65 last and it's pretty close to a perfect fit. I go down to a 8.5UK on most CS shoes. The 401 en particular in 8.5UK feels a tad roomier to me than the AE 65 last in 10.5D.

For reference I have low insteps, flat feet and overpronate, and am a 10/10.25 D aprox.
on Brannock device.

RahnDail

Reaction score
Hey all! Does anyone own or have some pictures of any of the dark oak calf color? I'm specifically interested in the 9899, but I can't seem to find any reference shots beyond the ones on The Noble Shoe. I'm looking to complete a 3-piece collection of a black, burgundy and medium brown cap toe oxfords for a weekly rotation, and I'm trying to figure out if this color will work best. I mostly wear suits in the colors of somewhat-lighter-than-normal navy, dark grey (not quite charcoal), or dark green, so any input on if this color would work well with these would be appreciated! Pics welcome!

winghus

Reaction score
Well, I have two pair of boots coming from AFPOS one on 333 round and other 234 (I think) soft square. AFPOS recommended TTS UK sizing (down one from US) so I did. I'm a 11.5D Brannock with a high instep, did I screw up? At the sale prices I can't see how I could turn it down. Well, the grandson is a half size smaller than me so he can have them if they don't fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics