• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care for shell cordovan color #8- Alden longwings 975

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shell doesn't need cream polish because it doesn't need additional pigment, and it doesn't need polish (either cream or wax) to get a nice shine. Some people claim that the turpentine in cream polishes actually damages the shell; I don't know. What would it mean to "overfeed"? I don't add very much at a time, and I don't think I do it too frequently... so feed, yes. But overfeed, hopefully not. What I do know is that Renovateur improves the appearance of the leather.

My understanding is this:

• Saphir wax polishes contain turpentine. They use it because it's volatile and evaporates quickly. It's the same principal as using naptha in other cheaper shoe polishes.
  • Most creams do not contain turpentine. Creams are not designed to give a high shine finish. So they don't need something so volatile.
  • Reno contains turpentine. Reno has turpentine because it's also a good solvent, so it helps in the cleaning part of the "cleaner/conditioner" product.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between saphir's "Cordovan" cream and it's normal MDO cream is that it also contains neatsfoot oil. The logic being that shell cordovan is "stuffed" with oils following tanning by Horween, and neatsfoot oil is a major component of this stuffing formula. The availability of "real" neatsfoot oil is questionable, so i'd be interested to know from where Horween sources theirs.

Also, I would guess that it is possible for shell to dry out, just as it's possible for any leather to dry out. Thus it would need occasional conditioning - be it from a cream, a dubbin, or a conditioner.

Myself, I find that "creams" are better than "polish" on shell, as shell doesn't seem to absorb much product well, and polish tends to get stuck on the surface. I do find that the saphir cordovan cream works well. I am also working on making my own cordovan cream with pure neatsfoot oil, but I haven't got the proportions right yet. The last one I made had a bit too much beeswax and made a film on the shoes as it wasn't being absorbed properly. I think i'll decrease the wax content, increase the oils. It's also tempting to just use a purely oil formula, although I think this would darken the leather significantly.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shell doesn't need cream polish
because it doesn't need additional pigment, and it doesn't need polish (either cream or wax) to get a nice shine. Some people claim that the turpentine in cream polishes actually damages the shell; I don't know. What would it mean to "overfeed"? I don't add very much at a time, and I don't think I do it too frequently... so feed, yes. But overfeed, hopefully not. What I do know is that Renovateur improves the appearance of the leather.

ah ok.

izzyfuld

Reaction score
Quote: you're making your own cream?! fascinating! can we hear more details on how you are managing to do this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads