Car totaled, need new 1, BMW vs Lexus

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by von Rothbart, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

My GF is looking into buying a CPO 2006 GS300 listed at $38,500. How much do you think she can negotiate with a dealer to take off from the list price?

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I've looked at both the new BMW coupe (turbo) and the new IS. They are different cars. As a current BMW (5 series) owner, the "feel" of the BMW drive was preferable. However, I like the IS styling and reliability. I decided to forego either at present. I'm waiting for the "F" model IS to debut to compare how it drives to the BMW 3 series.

A car purchase should satisfy your logical, economic, and emotional needs -- sometimes this requires balance, but for most of us these three elements will never weigh "equally." You've explored the logic and presumably the economics -- it looks like a test drive is in order to resolve the emotional aspect of your decision.

Ah, yes, 'F' for FUCKING UGLY! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.unitedpictures.com/event.las?event=822

Jon.

3. visionology

visionology Senior member

It's not that bad, the only things that look off are the vertically stacked tailpipes and the excessively large widebody in the front.

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

Ah, yes, 'F' for FUCKING UGLY! [​IMG]

Jon.

Yeah, Lexus is making a ricer. Even though the specs sound good, this is fucking hideous:

[​IMG]

5. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

I am also in the market trying to pick between an '08 535 and Infinit m35x. Drove both - love the M35 - I would suggest you do the same.

Now if I could only sell my current '03 325 (53K mi).

6. excellence

excellence Active Member

Yeah man. Trust me 335i won't let you down. I love that damn car.
    It handles like no other. It's 335i or M3. No other!
    Go with your heart brother. The 335i is simply breathless.
    Procede Vishnu ECU chip cranks that car to 420HP!

The stock 335i can leave a mustang in the dust, the 335i acutally beats SEVERAL cars on the market with the 300hp.
    I've drove IS + 335i, 335i feels like there is so much power that just goes up, UP, UP!
    Telling you. Gotta love the turbo + torque....

Get a White, silver or black 335i. If I had a silver one i would call it the SILVER BULLET no doubt.

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

What exactly is the driving experience? Does it give me a bigger johnson?

How a car accelerates, handles curves, holds the road, etc. -- not a terribly cryptic concept.

The size of your johnson is between you and Tinkerbell.

8. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

How a car accelerates, handles curves, holds the road, etc. -- not a terribly cryptic concept.

He said he is on his second RX350, hardly a car purchased for handling capabilities. Some people value utility over handling, nothing wrong with it either.

9. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

It's 335i or M3. No other!

get one of each. 335 sedan and an m3 coupe. [​IMG]

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

He said he is on his second RX350, hardly a car purchased for handling capabilities. Some people value utility over handling, nothing wrong with it either.

Agreed. Like I said, I have a Chevy Suburban. (Technically, I own one back in the States. It's not like I'm driving such a behemoth around Tokyo.)

But the question is whether to buy a BMW or a Lexus, so I assumed the OP placed some value on performance characteristics. If so, BMW is the only real choice.

Andrew's allowed to like whatever he likes for whatever reasons (not as if he needs my permission).

11. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

But the question is whether to buy a BMW or a Lexus, so I assumed the OP placed some value on performance characteristics. If so, BMW is the only real choice.

Well said. I actually think these two marques are compared only by the perceived luxury and price point. They are very different animals as far as comfort, handling, styling, etc.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Get an A6!!

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed. Like I said, I have a Chevy Suburban. (Technically, I own one back in the States. It's not like I'm driving such a behemoth around Tokyo.)

Andrew's allowed to like whatever he likes for whatever reasons (not as if he needs my permission).

True enough Red.

Anyhoo, the more valid comparison would be RX 350 vs. X5, not any of the coupes. Th

Though, my parents have owned both the LS400 and the 750i, and I haven driven both extensively, they each have their distinct advantages and I would happily drive either.

14. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I can't imagine why anyone would consider a Lexus. I drove one a few years back that had such horrible understeer it made moderate curves feel like hairpins at speed. My Chevy Suburban handled better.

Jeez. I like my car and really never gave it much more thought than that.[​IMG]

Not much into the driving experience, I take it.

[​IMG]

You'd opt for the Lexus over the BMW, then?

In the same way you can't explain with words to a KC shoe wearer how better is to walk on a pair of EGs, in the same way you can't explain with words how better feels a BMW.... they have to experience it [​IMG]

15. DNW

DNW Senior member

In the same way you can't explain with words to a KC shoe wearer how better is to walk on a pair of EGs, in the same way you can't explain with words how better feels a BMW.... they have to experience it [​IMG]

Driven a Rexus lately? I'm a huge Bimmer fan, but for people who appreciate the ride and comfort, a Lexus hits the spot very nicely. The new LS460 is one of the nicest rides in the world -- at any price.