• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car totaled, need new 1, BMW vs Lexus

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I think I am leaning towards Lexus. Especially if it's recommended by AF and AP, who have a high standard for finer things in life.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
But I'll test drive them to be sure.

I absolutely loved my E38 (short wheelbase version), it's fun to drive, responsive, precise, rounding corners like nobody's business, great connection to the road and feedback to driver, and nimble even for its size. It had all the creature comfort gadgets.

But it's a high-maintenance vehicle. Just off top of my head, I'd replaced both catalyptic converters, O2 sensor, radiator, fuel pump, thermostat, instrument panel, coolant reservior, and motion sensor. Fortunately they're all covered by warranty, but it's still a hassle. And the nav was extremely slow at times causing me to miss exits but the dealer wouldn't replace it. I can't imagine owning it without warranty. May be I picked a lemon. Strangely, it had been relatively trouble-free in the past year or so.

I've heard / read nothing but good things about the new 3. The new 5 on the other hand isn't the most reliable of cars...or so I've heard. I really think you can't go wrong with a 335i. But, I would seriously suggest you also go look at Audi, and test drive every car, where you want to test drive them, not just where the moronic salesperson tells you to go.

The whole: "make a left here, turn right there" bullshit doesn't let you feel the car. You need to actually take it out on the highway, on the twisting roads, without some moron telling you where to go, to actually see if you like the way the car handles, how it feels.

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The best Audio system (from a manufacturer) found in a car today is the B&O system option on the Audi A8, it's simply amazing.

Jon.

The was a McIntosh in the Ford GTO. That might have been nice!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Rubbish. Lexus are plenty quiet for audiophile listening. You should hear my stereo. You can hear the layers of an orchestra nicely defined.
smile.gif

Only if the car's turned off and not moving. I've been in the last-gen LS460, and it is not quiet enough for high quality audio. I'm talking about NC figures in the teens across the audible spectrum.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The was a McIntosh in the Ford GTO. That might have been nice!

I believe the Bugattis have a German Burmester system.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
The true sound sytem comes from the engine bay for me.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

+ 1

My car actually has a pretty nice HK system but engine is too loud to enjoy it, and I'd rather listen to what the car is doing anyway. If it happens to be playing when I come to a stop and turn off the engine I'll sometimes sit in the garage listening to it for a minute or so thinking "that sounds pretty good".

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Not much into the driving experience, I take it.

What exactly is the driving experience? Does it give me a bigger johnson?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LK,

This statement baffles me. My experience with a wide variety of Lexi has been totally the opposite. As a car detailing enthusiast, I can attest to quality of the interior plastic and real wood inlays and the absence of noise and any rattles over tens of thousands of miles.

Do they use real wood fascias?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked at both the new BMW coupe (turbo) and the new IS. They are different cars. As a current BMW (5 series) owner, the "feel" of the BMW drive was preferable. However, I like the IS styling and reliability. I decided to forego either at present. I'm waiting for the "F" model IS to debut to compare how it drives to the BMW 3 series.

A car purchase should satisfy your logical, economic, and emotional needs -- sometimes this requires balance, but for most of us these three elements will never weigh "equally." You've explored the logic and presumably the economics -- it looks like a test drive is in order to resolve the emotional aspect of your decision.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

They use, or at least they advertize they use, burl so to eliminate the chance of occupants being pierced by wood splinters during course of crash.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Yes, they do but there is a coating for safety and cleaning reasons.

VR, they also use California walnut which is in my car.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VR, they also use California walnut which is in my car.

Yes, walnut burl. Burl is an abnormal wood growth that resembles a ugly lumpy mass attached to a tree.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, walnut burl. Burl is an abnormal wood growth that resembles a ugly lumpy mass attached to a tree.

Most car interiors seem to use some variation of burl. Rolls Royce used to advertise that they kept extra identical sets of burl for repair.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Huh, looks like a walnut wood with straight grain, not the circular burl finish I've seen in SC and LSs....

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, looks like a walnut wood with straight grain, not the circular burl finish I've seen in SC and LSs....

So they downgraded from burl to regular grain?
frown.gif

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When ordering the 335, I had the option of dark burl, or light poplar wood (both real). I could have went with brushed aluminum too, but chose the dark burl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads