car restoration

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by acidboy, Jul 23, 2006.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

any of you chaps are into restoration? it has been a dream of mine to have a project like this but time and money, as always, seems to get in the way. lately, a 1979 toyota land cruiser (like the one pictured below) that has been in a state of disrepair and abandoned in my friend's warehouse for the past 10+ years was in our converation. we were planning to have it slowly restored. i certainly hope this time we can get around to doing it.

[​IMG]

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

That would be such a sweet restoration if it transpires.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Most folks spend more money on restorations than the car is worth on the open market.

Realize that in most cases, restoration is not an investment.

4. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I always coveted a Jeep Wagoneer and wanted to restore it and drive it forever. I same across one 2 1/2 years ago in good shape, not perfect but good for $3,000 and I passed on it, mostly because my wife talked me out of it due to our impending child. I instead bought a used Chevy Blazer and there is not a day that goes by that I do not regret that decision.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. Most folks spend more money on restorations than the car is worth on the open market. Realize that in most cases, restoration is not an investment.
    This is usually the case- Jaguar Mark Saloons with $45,000+ invested in them, Mercedes sedans with over $30,000+, and the list goes on.

6. wilson brother

wilson brother Senior member

any of you chaps are into restoration? it has been a dream of mine to have a project like this but time and money, as always, seems to get in the way. lately, a 1979 toyota land cruiser (like the one pictured below) that has been in a state of disrepair and abandoned in my friend's warehouse for the past 10+ years was in our converation. we were planning to have it slowly restored. i certainly hope this time we can get around to doing it.

Thats a nice dream..I think you can acheive it! I can imagine that would look great with two surfboards in the back.

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG]

That's a beautiful specimen. They're wildly popular with southern boys looking to go mudding, as apparent by where the image came from (UGA). I encountered a bunch of these while I was visiting there some years ago. Personally, I'm not a big fan of old military-style SUVs, but I do appreciate the time and effort someone has put into one of these. My favorite is an old pre-1980 Merc. SL. One of these days I'd love to get my hands on one and get to work.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

its not that the land cruiser is my top choice. my best friend & business partner has one in their warehouse gathering dust for more than 15 years. i'm trying to get it for free. [​IMG]