• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

car restoration

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
any of you chaps are into restoration? it has been a dream of mine to have a project like this but time and money, as always, seems to get in the way. lately, a 1979 toyota land cruiser (like the one pictured below) that has been in a state of disrepair and abandoned in my friend's warehouse for the past 10+ years was in our converation. we were planning to have it slowly restored. i certainly hope this time we can get around to doing it.

1982-FJ40-a.jpg

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Most folks spend more money on restorations than the car is worth on the open market.

Realize that in most cases, restoration is not an investment.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always coveted a Jeep Wagoneer and wanted to restore it and drive it forever. I same across one 2 1/2 years ago in good shape, not perfect but good for $3,000 and I passed on it, mostly because my wife talked me out of it due to our impending child. I instead bought a used Chevy Blazer and there is not a day that goes by that I do not regret that decision.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. Most folks spend more money on restorations than the car is worth on the open market. Realize that in most cases, restoration is not an investment.
This is usually the case- Jaguar Mark Saloons with $45,000+ invested in them, Mercedes sedans with over $30,000+, and the list goes on.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
any of you chaps are into restoration? it has been a dream of mine to have a project like this but time and money, as always, seems to get in the way. lately, a 1979 toyota land cruiser (like the one pictured below) that has been in a state of disrepair and abandoned in my friend's warehouse for the past 10+ years was in our converation. we were planning to have it slowly restored. i certainly hope this time we can get around to doing it.

Thats a nice dream..I think you can acheive it! I can imagine that would look great with two surfboards in the back.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
1982-FJ40-a.jpg

That's a beautiful specimen. They're wildly popular with southern boys looking to go mudding, as apparent by where the image came from (UGA). I encountered a bunch of these while I was visiting there some years ago. Personally, I'm not a big fan of old military-style SUVs, but I do appreciate the time and effort someone has put into one of these. My favorite is an old pre-1980 Merc. SL. One of these days I'd love to get my hands on one and get to work.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
its not that the land cruiser is my top choice. my best friend & business partner has one in their warehouse gathering dust for more than 15 years. i'm trying to get it for free.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads