• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't find the US on a World map.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
My four-year old son can find many Asian and African countries on a map, including Indonesia and Egypt; he can even recognize their flags and name their capital cities. It's just a question of being interested and curious about it, not necessarily smart.

That, and withholding dinner until he answers three questions correctly.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Are you serious Ed?
confused.gif

Look at this chart. I do find that surprising that 12% of Americans between 18 and 24 cannot locate Mexico on a map. I may agree somewhat on your Indonesia point, but 65% cannot locate the UK on a world map?

survey.jpg

No wonder your prisons are overcrowded, people must be running away in the wrong direction.

horton

Reaction score
I genuinely feel for her.

How did she fare assuming she got a zero for that part of the contest

LanAltec

Reaction score
That video is hilarious. I think she was really going somewhere good with that answer before the buzzer cut her off!
laugh.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what? I really don't care.
inlove.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What this was, was just uncontrolled pablum puking. She got all her little warm fuzzy, Bono, save the whales, type buzz words mixed up. She just felt she needed to let people know the problem is people just don't have maps! And that his is due to apartheid in South Africa and sweat shops in...uhhh, like Asian countries. And US school kids should make sure we all have maps and never, uhhh, run out of apartheid...whatever that is.

It was basically Katie Couric meets NPR meets Valley Girl.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. How do people pity her? She couldn't even put a coherent sentence together. It could've been bullshit for all I care; that's what she's been bred to do, after all.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What this was, was just uncontrolled pablum puking. She got all her little warm fuzzy, Bono, save the whales, type buzz words mixed up. She just felt she needed to let people know the problem is people just don't have maps! And that his is due to apartheid in South Africa and sweat shops in...uhhh, like Asian countries. And US school kids should make sure we all have maps and never, uhhh, run out of apartheid...whatever that is.

It was basically Katie Couric meets NPR meets Valley Girl.

Don't forget the Iraq.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
To get through sixth grade, we were required to be able to name, on a blank map, 80% of the 150 or so countries recognized at that time. Since I made it through, I am sure that I was able to do so, just as I was able to name all of the states and capital of US states.

Nowadays, while better than most Americans and likely most Europeans, I would not be able to come close to 80% of the current countries recognized. Nevertheless, I know how to use a map and especially the index where I can find coordinates and that is probably more important than finding Indonesia (which I can do).

For me it was seventh grade; I guess there has been an exponential decline since.

I generally tell people here that I'm from New York because of the blank stares when I say I'm from New Jersey. Jersey certainly does a **** ton more for the world than, say, Moldova does (see recent Jersey Girl thread for proof).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
For me it was seventh grade; I guess there has been an exponential decline since.

I generally tell people here that I'm from New York because of the blank stares when I say I'm from New Jersey. Jersey certainly does a **** ton more for the world than, say, Moldova does (see recent Jersey Girl thread for proof).

Ask them to find the island of Jersey.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
missmap.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i disagree with those who say she is hot and can just get by on her looks. i can't tell about her body from that video, but her face is very common. she's just an average looking girl with nice teeth and a lot of make-up.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i disagree with those who say she is hot and can just get by on her looks. i can't tell about her body from that video, but her face is very common. she's just an average looking girl with nice teeth and a lot of make-up.

To be fair, it is really, really good teeth.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the life of me, I have no idea how I would answer that question.

First, I don't believe that 20% of Americans can't point to the US of A on a map but you couldn't really call the question flawed in that situation since it seems like a cop out and since it doesn't exactly earn you congeniality points.

On the outside chance it is true, there is no rational explanation for it.

Whatever its failings the education system here is designed to teach that sort of thing (and I went to an undistinguished elementary school in a po-dunk town). And even the lower 20% of people I've met (in terms of general knowledge / caring about that sort of thing) have picked up enough along the way to figure that one out.

Do you blame teachers? Do you just call Americans stupid?

I really can't figure out what the right answer would be.

Her answer was worse than what most people would come up with but it's not the national quiz bowl and they did really throw her an unfair curve ball.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads