• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Suit Construction Quality in 2020

Clintonjl

Reaction score
Hello again fellow gentlemen,

I am booked at Harry Rosen tomorrow to look at some suits. They have several Canalis on sale in my size for 40% off, plus a deal going on where if you spend $1250 CAD or more you get $300 CAD off. I spoke to an SA on the phone who informed me alterations and functioning cuff buttons are included in the price. (They only do functioning cuff buttons for Zegna and Canali on RTW)

My question is, are Canali suits well constructed these days? Is there any handwork? I intend to stay away from those 99% wool 1% elastane fabrics because that rubs me the wrong way, but many of these suits are priced at $1150 CAD to $1500 CAD plus an additional $300 off. (If the suit is cheaper than $1250 I can just add a tie or something to bump up for the discount)

They also have E Zegnas on sale for about double the price (I'll see when I'm there if they have any for less, but from what I've seen online a lot of E Zegnas have fairly skinny lapels which I personally don't like)

So please, let me know your thoughts. I couldn't find any posts discussing Canali construction in depth that weren't some 8-11 years old.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that type of a discount that's not all that bad. I'm not sure what the CAD to USD conversion is right now, but I do believe it's somewhat close to parity.

Having said that, they are really nothing special. The fabrics are so, so and there's really not that much handwork (assuming that means something to you). They are fully canvassed, I believe. They are definitely an entry level suit and I would still prefer Zegna over them.

Again, if you can get it for <$1000 with alterations included, then not bad. This assumes they have it in the style and fabric that suits your needs.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
At that type of a discount that's not all that bad. I'm not sure what the CAD to USD conversion is right now, but I do believe it's somewhat close to parity.

Having said that, they are really nothing special. The fabrics are so, so and there's really not that much handwork (assuming that means something to you). They are fully canvassed, I believe. They are definitely an entry level suit and I would still prefer Zegna over them.

Again, if you can get it for <$1000 with alterations included, then not bad. This assumes they have it in the style and fabric that suits your needs.
Noted, I will maybe go Zegna then if they have something in my price range, fit, and style. $1300 CAD is about $960 USD. Or really with the discount it would be $1000 CAD.

I did see one Zegna online in my size, and in a nice color/weave for $1049. Though when I say, "my size" it's an assumption. I'm a 44T contemporary in a Samuelsohn but have never tried on a Canali or Zegna before. If I get nothing else out of this encounter I'll at least know which models and sizes fit me for future reference.

Thank you!

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noted, I will maybe go Zegna then if they have something in my price range, fit, and style. $1300 CAD is about $960 USD. Or really with the discount it would be $1000 CAD.

I did see one Zegna online in my size, and in a nice color/weave for $1049. Though when I say, "my size" it's an assumption. I'm a 44T contemporary in a Samuelsohn but have never tried on a Canali or Zegna before. If I get nothing else out of this encounter I'll at least know which models and sizes fit me for future reference.

Thank you!
Both Canali and Zegna have different lines with differing fabric and build qualities. Just saying Canali or Zegna
isn't enough information.
And if you are patient you can find good deals on both. Especially Canali.
For example last month at Nordstroms I picked up a very nice Canali Kei jacket (pictured) wool, silk, linen for $320.
fullsizeoutput_349.jpeg
20200618_141607.jpg

I see Canali suits on sale at Saks and Saks off fifth, some decent for $700 to $1300.
Patience is a virtue.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you!
Btw, I dont know if it extends to Canada but if you have Shop Runner returns from Saks, Neiman, Neiman last call, Saks off fifth and I think Bloomies, are free.

Res

Reaction score
I find stock sold at Harry Rosen to be, at times several hundred dollars more than others. I truly dislike that place. Same with The Bay.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
Both Canali and Zegna have different lines with differing fabric and build qualities. Just saying Canali or Zegna
isn't enough information.
And if you are patient you can find good deals on both. Especially Canali.
For example last month at Nordstroms I picked up a very nice Canali Kei jacket (pictured) wool, silk, linen for $320. View attachment 1417027 View attachment 1417028

I see Canali suits on sale at Saks and Saks off fifth, some decent for $700 to $1300.
Patience is a virtue.
That looks incredible on you. I ended up grabbing two Zegna suits. One City in a light blue check pattern, another Torino. (Grey one was bought online so I don't have a pic of me in it)

They were both on sale- blue city suit ended up costing $1640 CAD after tax, grey one was really good actually and only cost $1017 CAD after tax because of a very steep sale. Includes lifetime alterations and working cuffs for both suits.

This said, good to know you can get Canali for so cheap if you look for a sale- I'll definitely pick one up someday.

As far as the comparison goes, I was talking E Zegna mainline to Canali mainline, though upon some research it appears that even amidst Zegna's mainline their are some differences. (The City suit I got is made in Switzerland- apparently this is very good, and the Torino is made in Spain which I've read is still good but not as good. I do not know any specific distinctions in terms of quality beyond that)

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_122027_896.jpg
    IMG_20200702_122027_896.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 1,155
  • F-20034637-20034637-GREY.png
    F-20034637-20034637-GREY.png
    885.4 KB · Views: 1,910
  • AF1-20034637-20034637-GREY.png
    AF1-20034637-20034637-GREY.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,677

Clintonjl

Reaction score
I find stock sold at Harry Rosen to be, at times several hundred dollars more than others. I truly dislike that place. Same with The Bay.

Yeah, I normally don't shop there, but they had this deal to get a fair amount off on top of good sales in a few suits that ended up fitting me. Where do you normally go for dress clothes?

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks incredible on you. I ended up grabbing two Zegna suits. One City in a light blue check pattern, another Torino. (Grey one was bought online so I don't have a pic of me in it)

They were both on sale- blue city suit ended up costing $1640 CAD after tax, grey one was really good actually and only cost $1017 CAD after tax because of a very steep sale. Includes lifetime alterations and working cuffs for both suits.

This said, good to know you can get Canali for so cheap if you look for a sale- I'll definitely pick one up someday.

As far as the comparison goes, I was talking E Zegna mainline to Canali mainline, though upon some research it appears that even amidst Zegna's mainline their are some differences. (The City suit I got is made in Switzerland- apparently this is very good, and the Torino is made in Spain which I've read is still good but not as good. I do not know any specific distinctions in terms of quality beyond that)
Nice suits and most important do you like the feel of the fabrics, the drape of the suit. Sometimes the where its made
aspect is overrated. There are lots of Italian suits advertised as made in Italy, but cut and sewn by Chinese tailors in Italy
so its not really a deception, just misleading.
Spier & Mackay have some nice suits as well with varying levels of Italian fabrics, made in China. I own one and you get a lot of bang for the buck. Give them a look if you haven't already.

I would also advise not to buy a Canali simply because its a Canali. There are so many nice Italian suits out there...
Corneliani, Caruso, Boglioli, and many more that also can be bought on sale at a deep discount and are on par with Canali or better, depending on the suit and suit line.

Good luck in your search.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
Nice suits and most important do you like the feel of the fabrics, the drape of the suit. Sometimes the where its made
aspect is overrated. There are lots of Italian suits advertised as made in Italy, but cut and sewn by Chinese tailors in Italy
so its not really a deception, just misleading.
Spier & Mackay have some nice suits as well with varying levels of Italian fabrics, made in China. I own one and you get a lot of bang for the buck. Give them a look if you haven't already.

I would also advise not to buy a Canali simply because its a Canali. There are so many nice Italian suits out there...
Corneliani, Caruso, Boglioli, and many more that also can be bought on sale at a deep discount and are on par with Canali or better, depending on the suit and suit line.

Good luck in your search.
Thank you for the advice. I am young and inexperienced in my suiting journey so it is very much appreciated to get advice from those who've actually had experience with these various brands. I will certainly check out those mentioned.

The fabric of the one Zegna was very lovely and I hope the one I bought online will be the same. I also really liked the feel of the Canalis when I was at the store- and enjoyed their more (what I felt was a) contemporary look compared to the Zegnas I saw.

Thanks again and take care!

Res

Reaction score
Yeah, I normally don't shop there, but they had this deal to get a fair amount off on top of good sales in a few suits that ended up fitting me. Where do you normally go for dress clothes?

Usually go to Suitsupply/IndoChino/Boutiques

One that I try to frequent when in Toronto, If anyone is ever in Toronto, I highly recommend you check out Genesis (Italian boutique,) their website is genesis-toronto.com.

Sergio is such a pleasure, he will make you an espresso and go into detail on what you need. He imports many brands from Italy with decent prices, sometimes they have great sales. You can find suits, ties, shirts, accessories all from Italy.

rhb57

Reaction score
Why torino and city? These are two different cuts, the former is a drop 8 slim fit while the latter is a drop 7 contemporary fit, the fact that you got two suits for different body types doesn't seem to make sense.

Both Canali(mainline) and E.Zegna have great construction and can easily last 20 years if properly cared, although E.Zegna might an advantage on the fabric, Canali seems to offer slightly better construction as they only make full-canvassed suits. Both have handwork at the right place, e.g. collar, armhole etc. In terms of armholes, they both offer probably the highest among fully-lined suits.

Regarding slim fit, Canali probably feels better as there is less padding in the shoulder while E.Zegna's torino is heavily padded.

And don't buy a suit just because it's on sale, buy it when it fits and the style is what you really want.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Are the Canali suits found at Saks Off 5th the same line/quality as the ones found at the flagship store? Or are they a lower quality suit produced for the outlet/overstock store?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to Corneliani, Caruso, Canali, Ermenegildo Zegna, etc. I think that you should first and foremost go for the fit. I've owned close to hundred of suits and coats from those brands, and the difference is negligible when comparing their mainline items. The biggest difference boils (IMO) down to their cuts and styles - but to be honest, even those have been diminishing for the past 10 years. These days, I feel that the cuts are almost indistinguishable. They all seem to have converged on the same overall slim, modern short jackets, low-rise trouser style. Shoulders go from natural to lightly padded.

As far as Canali goes, they're full-canvas, use decent fabrics - their exclusive collection has finer fabrics. Canali Kei if you want unstructured and light suits.

These days, I'd probably just check into SuitSupply or similar. If you absolutely must have fully-canvassed and Made in Italy suits, do go for the above brands. But again, SuSu will deliver the same cuts for 1/3 of the price. For half the price, you'll also get full-canvas construction and more premium fabrics.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Found this article to be interesting.
does not appear that they are producing a lower quality product for certain distributors?

3A03F8D2-A6F5-45F5-97D7-880368CE8D36.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics