• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you wear a major item of clothing when everybody else is wearing it?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I live on a rather small island with a population of 400,000. I guess the population being small isn't so much the problem as EVERYBODY here follows the trends. My problem is that I want to buy a black trench coat here- I found a few yesterday which looked and fit great, and not too expensive (~$70 at the exchange rate these days). I want to buy them, but I can't- because I know that soon, when the weather gets colder, everybody is going to be wearing trench coats. (You can spot the item of clothing that has been picked to be a trend by looking at any mannequin in the hundreds of boutiques here). What do I do? Do I have to pick a fall coat other than the one I like just because everyone else is going to have one?

I'm curious, In this kind of situation, what would you do?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want something why would you let what everyone else is doing stop you? It's cool to have different stuff, but if you're not going after what you want, because everyone else has it, then you're a tool.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
If you want something why would you let what everyone else is doing stop you? It's cool to have different stuff, but if you're not going after what you want, because everyone else has it, then you're a tool.

+1.

If you like it, I wouldn't let it's trendiness prevent you from picking it up. In a few months it won't be trendy anyway and you will be an outsider once again.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Fair points and I may get it, but I think some of you don't understand what it's like to walk down a street and literally see 10 people wearing the same "stylish" outfit. Not like "gaudy t-shirt with jeans" ed hardy/affliction popular, but like skinny black jeans, white hi-tops untucked, white shirt, and a vest...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Fair points and I may get it, but I think some of you don't understand what it's like to walk down a street and literally see 10 people wearing the same "stylish" outfit. Not like "gaudy t-shirt with jeans" ed hardy/affliction popular, but like skinny black jeans, white hi-tops untucked, white shirt, and a vest...

This is what you get when you have an entire population that cares about fashion, as opposed to the opposite, which is what you see in the States. Your tribe is just bigger in Korea, is all.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
it's like going to a mod club, or rockabilly club

you suddenly see all these people wearing the same **** as you, and you realize you are no longer a special unique snowflake. that's when I break out the Juicy tracksuit

Kris

Reaction score
Set the trends, herd the sheep, shear the wool, set the trends.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a very recognizable piece of clothing, my personal philosophy is preferably not.

The CdG X H&M collaboration coming up isn't half bad, but knowing that there's gonna be a good chance of bumping into someone else with the same thing on, I'd rather not partake...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If what you say is true about the trends in your area constantly changing, then you can buy the coat, bury it in your closet and take it out next year and then you will be the only one wearing. That is if you can wait a year.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
converse
peacoat
jean jacket
track jacket
hoodie
chucks
sambas
501s
AA

all major, all things everyone else is wearing for the same reasons I am.

Deluks917

Reaction score
I would only buy the trench if you feel you can pull it off (better fit, material, attitude, rest of outfit w/e) much better then everybody else.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^haha word, **** off T.O.P

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads