• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you pull off a hat (i.e fedora) ever??

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear a hat in cold or drizzly weather - like today. I've lost a lot of hair, so the utility of a hat is strong with me.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly wear a hat if it suited me, but of the several I have tried on, I feel they don't suit my face size and shape.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is all about the attitude of the wearer, you have to show confidence in what you wear. I have trouble with hats, once I take them off my hair is all messed up.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear hats for a purpose -- typically sun or cold. I have no use for a purely decorative hat, though a purposeful hat need not be unstylish.

pbc

Reaction score
To say "I tried a hat and they don't look good on me" is like saying "I tried suit and they don't look good on me." Hats may be more finicky in appearance since they are on top of your head and frame the face, but I would find it hard to believe that a person simply doesn't look good in any hat. Like shoes, suit, tie, etc. would it not be a matter of finding the right hat? Color, style, fit, texture, brim, curl, crown, bash, ribbon, finish, etc. all come into play.

This isn't to imply that one has to wear a hat or even has to like or want one. But like a suit, chances are good there is one, or likely several out there that look good on you.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yamas
How can you wear one of these and maintain the classy look?

Yes, yes and yes. Check profile pic.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I wear a fedora in bad weather in winter, but it's had the daylights beat out of it, so at least it doesn't look I just brought it out for a costume party. My girlfriend hates it.

I tend to think fedoras are less conspicuous in a cold drizzle, say, than on a balmy spring day. For guys under 50 or so, they need the right setting, and they need a certain attire, either very dressy or a little eccentric. (My stuff leans toward the latter category.) The hat and T-shirt combo so popular with fat guys ought to be eradicated.

In summer, I wear a panama, which my girlfriend considers equally crazy. But I think she finds it more appealing than the beat-up fedora.

+100000000000000000000*infinity

I approve of all of this. Try an akubra stylemaster for a slightly more casual hat.

Reaction score
I used to wear a fedora before I moved to the south. In the summer it's a Panama hat or a skimmer. Borsalino makes a nice wool cap for those casual cool rainy days.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
do any of you hat wearers have pictures?

4142_1063890008819_1573050342_30139485_7381400_n.jpg

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine, I'll play:
CIMG3471.jpg
e6zqrb.jpg
mjs2u0.jpg
2ppzs06.jpg
2yxgegh.jpg
CIMG3784.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics