1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can you pull off a hat (i.e fedora) ever??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Yamas, May 4, 2009.

1. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

I wear felt fedoras occasionally and prefer them only on overcast days/evgs spring/fall/winter
    Never in summer ever...they're just too hot for me.
    I am told that I look stunning wearing one.
    I lost one Biltmore in a bad storm recently but I do have 2 other Biltmores and one Borsalino which I have only worn once because it was $400 and I never want to sweat in it ever. It's still virginal.

In summer, I have a very light wool open weave fedora that breathes very well but only wear it to church.
    My dad took my panama hat from me, saying I was too young for it...heh.

I used to feel self-conscious about wearing the hats, but not anymore.
    They serve a purpose, and are fun, and they also give everyone you pass by something to look at.
    Women gravitate to a man of mystery.
    Hey..if you don't have a dog to walk, or a kid..then at least wear a fedora.
    It makes a good conversation piece.
    Just don't wear it cocked like a G-Man.

That's my $0.02 worth.

2. AJR Journal

AJR Journal Well-Known Member

I always wear a hat, I never leave the house without one. I have had people fail to recognize me without one. I have 2 Akubras from Australia, a fedora from Optimo in Chicago, 2 Stetson dress hats (not Stetson cowboy hats), an Irish walking hat (I call it),
    I love them and can not imagine dressing without one.
    I am 56 years old, live in Milwaukee, am in great shape, and wear suits by choice.
    Go for it, you will love it.
    Now, if I could get over my reluctance to wear spectator shoes.

3. SeriousBusiness

SeriousBusiness Well-Known Member

Ask yourself this question:

"Am I Phat Guido?"

If the answer is no, don't bother trying.

LOL. Oh guidos.

4. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Ok, here's my visual contribution:

[​IMG]

5. Classically

Classically Senior member

I'd recommend something with a shorter crown or try putting a ribbon on that thing... Otherwise, not bad.

6. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I'd recommend something with a shorter crown or try putting a ribbon on that thing... Otherwise, not bad.

Putting a ribbon on it is a great idea! I found this a Target for $3.50 so I couldn't pass it up. It's funny, the crown dosen't look as tall in real life as it does in the pics but a ribbon would certainly help it a lot. [​IMG]

7. Yamas

Yamas Active Member

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Thoughts on these as cheapo first fedoras? http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/clea...34374752654782
    Despite what the ad calls them, they're Trilbys. You get what you pay for but they may be good as an intro to hat wearing.

9. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

I wear one 6 days a week and have done for the past 15 years or so - so I'd like to think that I can pull it off! I think that there is a lot to be said for the suggestion that you are unlikely to look good in a hat to others unless you feel comfortable in it yourself, and that takes some practice and perseverance. I, for instance, and very happy wearing fedoras, panamas and flat caps (even top hats on occasion) but am still accustoming myself to wearing a homburg - which I put down in part to the perception that I used to have that it was an older man's hat and which sapped m confidence when wearing one.

10. redtree00

redtree00 Senior member

I wear a hat most work days.

Beaver felt fedoras in the colder months. Montecristi, panapore and parabuntal when it warms up.

11. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

do any of you hat wearers have pictures?
    - yesh..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOL. Oh guidos.
    - not funny.. [​IMG]

12. BABuckeye

BABuckeye Senior member

As I understand them, Trilby and Fedora hats are essentially the same thing, but the Fedora has a slightly larger brim. If this is true, I like Fedoras and really dislike Trilby hats.

Both look good in felt and even dark straw, but the Trilby more often comes in bold plaids, checkerboards, stripes, and light straw colors. These are just plain wrong. A few rock stars can pull off a bold Trilby, but I have grown to associate them with guidos on the Jersey shore and in Vegas. They're often paired with a wife beater t-shirt or a retro bowling shirt by guidos like a Matt Dillon character or socially awkward nerds trying to be ecclectic to compensate for not fitting into society like a Robert Downey Jr character. To me, they just seem like costumes that are only suited for Jersey and Vegas.

Oh, but Judge Smales looks good in HIS trilby, of course!

13. barims

barims Senior member

Have you tried a ten-gallon cowboy hat yet?
    I'm resurrecting this because I recently got donated my chocolate felt fedora and because both LK and a good friend of mine, a Nigerian fashion designer who constantly wears a ten gallon himself, have recommended that I buy a Stetson Open Road. I'd like to open the floor to any other interested parties who might want to see me in a new hat I was recently in the London vintage shop Hornet's and tried on a light grey Homburg. It was slightly too large, but Black Caesar still came to mind: [​IMG] I have noticed that a few fashionable black men here favour cowboy hats, so I don't feel uncomfortable following a precedent I feel that WAYWRN could use more hats - only Upr_crust, TTO and Tibor are flying the flag these days

14. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

Any chance of a picture of the fedora?

I envy you the trip to Hornets, especially as I want a grey homburg myself...

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

It's about two things: You, and the hat. If you don't think you can do it, you can't. You also haven't actually tried or looked. There are enough different ways to do dress hats well that everyone can do them. It's a matter of being patient and trying out different hats.

Personally, I have two fedoras at the moment, one crushable wool and one beaver fur Peters Bros. I wear one or the other of them pretty constantly.

16. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I'm resurrecting this because I recently got donated my chocolate felt fedora and because both LK and a good friend of mine, a Nigerian fashion designer who constantly wears a ten gallon himself, have recommended that I buy a Stetson Open Road. I'd like to open the floor to any other interested parties who might want to see me in a new hat

I was recently in the London vintage shop Hornet's and tried on a light grey Homburg. It was slightly too large, but Black Caesar still came to mind:

[​IMG]

I have noticed that a few fashionable black men here favour cowboy hats, so I don't feel uncomfortable following a precedent

I feel that WAYWRN could use more hats - only Upr_crust, TTO and Tibor are flying the flag these days

I live in Texas and I hate almost all cowboy hats and all the crap that goes along with it, especially right now which is rodeo time so all the plastic cowboys come out.

I like the Stetson Open Road, sometimes called a Texas 'bankers hat' and associated with LBJ. They are an effective compromise between a 'dress' western hat and a fedora, if that's not too oxymoronic. Black or beige both look good.

The only cowboy hats that I think look good are the Spanish style ones - Lee Van Cleef, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Clint in 'Hang Em High', Dean Martin in 'Bandolero' ... these wide brimmed monstrosities that people like Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks wear are absolutely hideous.

17. Cotillion

Cotillion Senior member

How can you wear one of these and maintain the classy look?

By being classy.

Check out Fedora Lounge for some examples.

18. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

Those kind of hats are best paired with casual wear with classy twists. For example: Plaid Shirt + Wool Tie + Gray Jean + Black Wingtips + Fedora. You see where I'm coming from? I must agree that Straw Hats are cool for summer conditions as well. Hope this helped Bro!
    http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

19. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

Those kind of hats are best paired with casual wear with classy twists. For example: Plaid Shirt + Wool Tie + Gray Jean + Black Wingtips + Fedora. You see where I'm coming from? I must agree that Straw Hats are cool for summer conditions as well. Hope this helped Bro!
    http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

Very nice blog. Great read. [​IMG]

20. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Doesn't stop me from trying
    [​IMG]