1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can you pull off a hat (i.e fedora) ever??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Yamas, May 4, 2009.

1. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Wish i could pull off a hat. But too often wearing a fedora screams trying too hard. Difficult to toe the line.
    It's really not hard to pull one off, as long as you have the confidence to do so. I'm only 29 and look like I'm 21, but I got a couple for Father's Day and have had nothing but compliments (especially from the lady folk). Just as with suits or anything else you put on, you have to wear the hat, not let the hat wear you. If you're nervous about it...it'll show.

2. Threak

Threak Senior member

^I'd say that first one looks a little too Smokey Bear.

1 person likes this.
  3. Barnabus

Barnabus Senior member

No.........Dont want to mess up my hair [​IMG]

As someone with me medium length hair ( think jim morrison) i don't even know how i would go about wearing one with out looking odd.[​IMG]

4. MaxK

MaxK Senior member

I don't think I could pull off a felt hat, but I wear a panama hat in the summer and constantly get compliments on it.

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Wear one all the time, mainly for sun protection reasons. I like to think I get away with it... I'm not self conscious about it anymore, and it isn't necessarily the most eccentric part of my outfit in many cases. Skin cancer's on the rise; what other accessory prevents signs of aging and could save your life? Time for a revival and I don't mean those damn stingy brims.
    Amen. Unless you have a very small face a stingy brim looks pretty naff IMO. 2 5/8" is about as small as I go.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I wear hats all the time and most women respond very favourably to me on the street. I receive countless smiles from them. There is a language to wearing hats. If memory serves, it is as follows: Full front brim down = G-man, detective, serious, dramatic, mysterious, possibly threatening Front brim down on one side with hat cocked to side = Carefree, approachable, friendly Hat brim up and cocked up high = Easy-going, artsy/musician type a la Frank Sinatra (trilby) Women love when I wink and tip my hat to them. Try it! and watch the warm responses you'll get.

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

The other thread brought my attention to this one.

I think the easiest hat to pull off is a Panama Hat. I love them.

8. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Very nice but . . . but . . . but you're wearing a hat indoors! :eek: That's actually a serious point. I'm not sure whether to put it down to cause or effect but one of the biggest disincentives to wearing a hat now is that there is nowhere to put it when you go to a restaurant or the theater or whatever. I mean, really, when was the last time you say a hat check girl?
    Uhm . . . [​IMG]
    This is really excellent. One of the most compelling uses of a hat I have ever seen. Most times, when people are wearing a hat, you look at them and say, "Hey, that guy is wearing a hat." But with this, my reaction was, 'Hey, that looks really good! . . . Oh, yeah, he's also wearing a hat." Brummell would have approved.

9. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Hats need to be part of a cohesive whole. Fedoras don't work with jeans or when you're going without a jacket. And too few men take them off indoors, which turns it into an affected costume piece.

10. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

So, +1 to panama hats working easier than other styles. Still, I think Barims can pull off a hat very well, much better than most people.

11. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

I dunno, it doesn't seem to be so bad. For served sit-down meals I usually look for another chair or space on the bench to set it down next to me; bars and other self-serve eateries don't require you to remove it at all (though tilting it back to expose more of your eyes is a plus, if you're in conversation). Theaters, etc. you can just hold it in your lap -- a true gentleman wouldn't eat a jumbo tub of popcorn with artificially-butter-flavored grease, anyway. If you really can't find an accommodation for it, you can put it at a rakish tilt commensurate to your displeasure with the establishment for not having any available hat space.

I really like Barim's style, but personally I prefer hats to be worn a bit lower on the head. To my taste he could go up 1/8 or even 1/4 size and be a bit sharper. However, the way he wears them is a commonly accepted style, so it's more preference than "wrong"ness.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  12. JonnyUtah

JonnyUtah Member

I agree with Sazerac. When I see dudes walking around in jeans and a t-shirt and a fedora, they can't help but look like Ryan Gosling wannabes out for a starbucks run. I don't know why hot girls dig these guys.

13. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

They usually aren't wearing fedoras, but silly hipster trilbys.

14. JonnyUtah

JonnyUtah Member

Right you are sir, my mistake. Whenever I see someone rocking one, I always think of that line in Chris Rock's "No Sex in the Champagne Room":

"Take off that silly-ass hat"

15. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Yes, I am certainly of the opinion that rounding up all those hats and burning them may be the best option. ESPECIALLY the ones in Trucker Plaid.

16. barims

barims Senior member

It's nice to see this serious topic resurrected

I should clarify, only one of those hats is actually in serious usage and only two were mine. This is my sole headgear, two years later:

[​IMG]

Based on a size 7/57 Stetson I tried on yesterday, I suspect my optimal size is around 59 and plan to purchase accordingly. The others were roughly size 58, I think

Many thanks for the compliments and feedback

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011