• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C & Y Custom Tailors Washington DC

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
If you don't mind me asking. What do they charge for alterations? Letting out trousers, inseam, waist suppresion, sleeve length, etc.... I have a few new suits on there way and have been looking for a good tailor in the Annapolis area(no luck as of yet). However with all the great things I have heard about Field's it might be worth the trip to DC. Thanks!

Gene

I take my stuff to Custom Tailors of Annapolis in the mall. He does good work and it's easier than going to DC. I don't actually know what the various prices are except that it costs about 40 or 45 to get the skirt of a jacket shortened. I took a HSM suit in that I got on EBay for $30 had the sleeves shortened, the skirt shortened, the waist nipped in, and the trousers let out (taken in?) a tiny bit. They were probably shortened too and I think it cost about 130 total.

bob

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I take my stuff to Custom Tailors of Annapolis in the mall. He does good work and it's easier than going to DC. I don't actually know what the various prices are except that it costs about 40 or 45 to get the skirt of a jacket shortened. I took a HSM suit in that I got on EBay for $30 had the sleeves shortened, the skirt shortened, the waist nipped in, and the trousers let out (taken in?) a tiny bit. They were probably shortened too and I think it cost about 130 total.

bob

I have been meaning to give them a try. Maybe I will shoot over there next week when my suits arrive. I just am not a fan of going to DC. If they do good work it is much easier to drive 10 minutes to the mall, than dealing with DC. Thanks for the heads up. I am sure Field's would be a pretty penny(since I have 2 suits and 3 pairs of trousers that I will need to have altered).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Field's and found them to be first rate. will probably take some more work to them in the fall.

Mentos

Reaction score
I had sleeves shortened, shoulders brought in (I think), pants' waist brought in, and chest brought in for $130. Anyway, my point is that I don't recall the details, but it was a full job and worth it. Fields the Younger was conscientious of my pricing challenges and gamely brought up cost for the more expensive aspects, thus sparing me from having to do it myself.

He's worth the trip from Annapolis. Treat yourself to a day in civilization!
devil.gif

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
I had sleeves shortened, shoulders brought in (I think), pants' waist brought in, and chest brought in for $130. Anyway, my point is that I don't recall the details, but it was a full job and worth it. Fields the Younger was conscientious of my pricing challenges and gamely brought up cost for the more expensive aspects, thus sparing me from having to do it myself.

devil.gif

So it seems like the pricing is in the same range. $130 is not bad at all
smile.gif
I have off Friday, and my suits should be here Thursday. So maybe I will join civilization for a day
smile.gif
What is the usual turn around time?

Gene

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos

devil.gif

That price seems really good. If we move to DC this'll help. Thanks Mentos.

bob

Mentos

Reaction score
I believe that the typical turnaround is a week, but I'm not sure--Fields the Younger was going on vacation the day after I visited, so it took something like two or three weeks. It's not bad, at any rate.

I love Annapolis, by the way (didn't want to come off the wrong way on that
smile.gif
)

weiyung

Reaction score
I took my suits to get tailored at "Best Tailors" in Fairfax, VA.

they did a really good job, they do bespoke as well, but not sure what their pricing was.

for suit jackets, I believe it's a flat rate of $75

fashion chic

Reaction score
i always use c&y tailors. i use them for alterations and used them for several custom made suits. i also heard that madeline albright went there to get some suits made for herself! the place is small but the guy there does beautiful work. he's been there for over 20 years and i've been going there for as long he's been there. i would definely recommend!

fashion chic

Reaction score
i always use c&y tailors. i use them for alterations and used them for several custom made suits. i also heard that madeline albright went there to get some suits made for herself! the place is small but the guy there does beautiful work. he's been there for over 20 years and i've been going there for as long he's been there. i would definely recommend!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads