• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

C & Y Custom Tailors Washington DC

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
Is there any chance anyone has used these guys? Not just for alterations but for having something made.

bob
 

kronik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
3,944
Reaction score
7
<has not>

Where are they located, what do they deal in?
 

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
They're on Connecticut in Cleveland Park. We happened to eat last night in a restaurant a few doors down (Indique, great food, dodgy service). Just wondered if anyone happened to have used them.

bob
 

Duveen

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
840
Reaction score
2
I've seen that store window many a time and been vaguely curious. I haven't visited thus far - that is in large part because I can't imagine that it would be much beyond an alterations shop. But it could be a diamond in the rough...

Did you stop in to be sure that they truly will make entire garments, not just MTM?
 

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
No, they were closed already. I'm going to spend some time on Saturday calling around to various tailors to see how much they do. My regular tailor here in town may just do the full job (he has bolts of cloth displayed etc.) but I've actually never asked.

I'll call C&Y and a couple other places.

bob
 

sammy

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
468
Reaction score
30
I use Field Tailors on Wisconsin Ave. They are the best in the area. C&amp;Y looks more like an alterations shop than a bespoke tailor.
 

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by sammy
I use Field Tailors on Wisconsin Ave. They are the best in the area. C&Y looks more like an alterations shop than a bespoke tailor.

Field does full bespoke? Or even MTM? I thought they were just alterations also. Any idea on prices for a DJ/tux?

bob
 

sammy

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
468
Reaction score
30
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Field does full bespoke? Or even MTM? I thought they were just alterations also. Any idea on prices for a DJ/tux?

bob


Field is a full bespoke service. It's a father and son operation. The father, William Field Sr., is an ex-Savile Row tailor and the son, William Field Jr., now runs the business. I've had one bespoke suit, some trousers, and a number of shirts made from them. The shirts are actually made by Geneva Custom Shirtmakers in NY. William takes your measurements and sends them to Geneva. Field does very nice work; on par with any SR London tailor. I don't know how much a DJ/tux would cost. Best to give them a call.
 

Duveen

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
840
Reaction score
2
Field is, indeed, a full bespoke shop and has generally been well reviewed by those on this board. Will Field is a great alterations tailor and has been trained on SR. He and his father have clothed a lot of the grandees of Washington over the years. Sammy would be better able than I to speak to the silhouette - my sense is that Will is fairly flexible. Sammy - is your gray mohair done already? Care to show it off?

FYI, Baytok (who is next door) is also full custom. I know that they are not as well-loved on this board, but I have anecdotally heard good things about them. Baytok is, apparently, a bit of a difficult personality, but he does turn out a consistent product also in the SR tradition. You may wish to visit both for reference and ask to see sample garments.

Both Baytok and Field are likely to be at least $2,500 for a two-piece. Field might be more willing to do CMT (your fabric) than Baytok.

C&amp;Y and other smaller/grottier tailors are less likely to do proper bespoke tailoring, but one of them might turn out to be the LNC Tailors of DC. If you are at a $1,000-$1,500 price point, you'd likely want to go further downscale than Field...

Good luck!
 

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
18,814
Reaction score
520
Field's is good people.
 

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
4,226
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Duveen
Field is, indeed, a full bespoke shop and has generally been well reviewed by those on this board. Will Field is a great alterations tailor and has been trained on SR. He and his father have clothed a lot of the grandees of Washington over the years. Sammy would be better able than I to speak to the silhouette - my sense is that Will is fairly flexible. Sammy - is your gray mohair done already? Care to show it off?

FYI, Baytok (who is next door) is also full custom. I know that they are not as well-loved on this board, but I have anecdotally heard good things about them. Baytok is, apparently, a bit of a difficult personality, but he does turn out a consistent product also in the SR tradition. You may wish to visit both for reference and ask to see sample garments.

Both Baytok and Field are likely to be at least $2,500 for a two-piece. Field might be more willing to do CMT (your fabric) than Baytok.



Ack, yeah, that's way beyond my price range. Thanks for the info Duveen.

bob
 

Sartorially Challenged

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by RJman
Field's is good people.
I'd like to thank those of you who steered me to Field's. Very personable and professional... even though I was getting RTW suits altered rather than buying bespoke.
 

jkester

Active Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
another hearty recommendation for field. I've got another suit and jacket being made there right now. The father is sadly quite ill i believe. But the son is extremely talented and very nice.
 

kali77

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
945
Reaction score
163
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
I'd like to thank those of you who steered me to Field's. Very personable and professional... even though I was getting RTW suits altered rather than buying bespoke.

If you don't mind me asking. What do they charge for alterations? Letting out trousers, inseam, waist suppresion, sleeve length, etc.... I have a few new suits on there way and have been looking for a good tailor in the Annapolis area(no luck as of yet). However with all the great things I have heard about Field's it might be worth the trip to DC. Thanks!

Gene
 

Sartorially Challenged

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
577
Reaction score
0
I don't know, because I never received nor requested item-by-item billing.

I had a number of things done for each suit per Field's recommendation. He gave me a total bill at the end for all the suits.

I'd say he is a trifle bit higher in price than your average alteration tailor in the area, but -- having tried a few others with dissastifaction -- is worth ever penny... and then some.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

  • Disposable surgical mask

  • White cotton mask

  • Linen-lined mask

  • "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

  • Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

  • Solid color silk mask

  • "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

  • Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

  • Denim mask

  • Face shield


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
442,539
Messages
9,557,345
Members
199,950
Latest member
jankubneha
Top