• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C-21 or Filenes??

deaddog

Reaction score
I may be in mid-town Manhattan this Sunday with no more than two hours of free time. If I'm looking for the biggest selection of high-end stuff at the best price (for example, Brioni or Belvest suits and jackets, Zegna Couture or Sutor Mantellasi shoes) would you hit C21 or Filenes (which one) or somewhere else? And, if anybody has been there in the past few days, how is the selection looking at either place?
Thanks

seok

Reaction score
with the sales going on, i'd actually recommend the department stores (saks/barney's/bg/bloomie's) factoring in convenience, condition of goods, and after-purchase service.

deaddog

Reaction score
Thanks - but given that I'm in and out of there in a couple of hours (and I have access to all the big stores other than Bergdorf) I won't need after-purchase service. I'm just looking to score big!

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with seok. Century 21 does not have that great of an inventory of "high-end" clothing or shoes. Definitely hit up the department stores, which will have a lot of great clothing at great prices.

Also, Century 21 is a god damned rat cage, and if I only had two hours in Manhattan, I wouldn't want to spend it in that environment.

deaddog

Reaction score
I'll be in Manhattan for longer but otherwise occupied. And I don't mind the rat cage. This isn't pleasure shopping - its a quick hit at a discounter that I can't find at home. I was at C21 about 8 months ago and they had a couple of racks of borellis, brionis and isaia in nice colors for nice prices. Also, tons of Zanella slacks (obviously not as high end but pretty nice at 90 bucks).

So - the question remains -- C21 or Filenes. I have a Filene's at home but the decent stuff is very, very rare there. Perhaps NY is better

EDIT - I don't mean to speak too quickly here - are we talking 50-75% off sales at the big boys. I was at a Chicago Nieman's last week and saw nothing better than about 25-33%.

AndOne

Reaction score
I agree, go to Barneys. Overall, C21 has a larger selection than Filene's, although I prefer Filene's for the overall experience (and if you go to one, it has to be the Union Square location). However, C21's prices are no better than Barneys right now and the selection in the quality you are looking for is superior at Barneys IMHO. For instance, Canali's and Zegna's are 50% off, marked down to $700-800. Battistoni and Isaia are even further marked down and can be had for $1000-1100. The sizes are more plentiful at Barneys, as is the variety.

chas

Reaction score
I spent an hour at C21 on Sunday and have been to the Filene's in Union Square and at 79th Street in the last week. I hate to beat a dead horse but you are better off at one of the department stores. C21 has some pantherella's and ties you might find interesting - but the suit selection is VERY hit or miss. With regard to Filene's, 79th Street is not worth the time at all. The Union Square store does have some Oxxford and Hickey suits but no solids and very limited sizes.

If it must be one or the other I would take your chances at the Filene's at Union Square. Only because if you are in midtown and have only a few hours you will spend an extra hour commuting to C21.

waljo88

Reaction score
What deals did you guys see for dress shirts
Anything below $80 at Barneys/Saks/NM/Nordstroms or even C21 or Filenes

How about for suits?

I would appreciate any detailed input

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics