• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Used 3 series circa 2004

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
I've noticed some mid mileage 2004 BMW 3 series listed on car websites selling for around 12-14 thousand. What kind of reliability are we talking here, can one trust that one of these cars with around 30,000 - 40,000 miles has much more life in it?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's 2004 MY, then it's an E46. It's a solid car, and reliable, but you have to keep up with the maintenance, and there are few known issues that are relatively inexpensive to do: - front control arms bushing tend to crack around this time. They were replaced at some point with bigger ones (66 mm vs. 60 mm) that are more resilient. The 2004 MY may have the big ones by default. - water pump tends to die before 100K miles - radiator neck can break before 100K miles - thermostat can die every 30K or so - window regulators in sedan die randomly - plastic cassette in the moonroof rails can break randomly - rear shock mounts can crack depending on the roads and driving style - the furry interior lining around the doors can become detached You should check the front shock towers to make sure there's no deformation to the sheet metal, and have the rear subframe chassis attachment on the driver's side checked for cracks. These are the two big major issues that're relatively expensive. At 30K, you should get the diff and transmission fluid changed (BMW says it's lifetime, but it's not). As with any used car, get a good, independent mechanic to inspect it before you buy. http://www.bimrs.org is a good way to find one. The car's history should have oil changes at 7500 miles instead of the BMW-recommended 12K intervals. 30K is also the first Inspection 1 interval which is about $600 at the dealer --- check to see if it's been done because that can affect the price. The list above may seem scary, but the E46's faults are fairly well-characterized, and those things are the things that tend to go wrong with it. There will always be lemons, but it's a solid car if you look after it. I have a 2000 328Ci with 117K miles on it, and most of those things above have happened to me, but the car is still going strong, and people have taken the E46 up to 200K miles no major issues. Good luck --- it's a wonderful car if you decide to get one. --Andre

B2C2V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Andre

Andre, you sure summarized my MY02 330i 120k miles's life! In my case, replaced water pumps twice.

chuckseabreeze, overall mine is a reliable car, but does require some maintenance $. I bought the BMW extended warranty + maintenance program so I was $/worry free for 100k miles.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
If it's 2004 MY, then it's an E46. It's a solid car, and reliable, but you have to keep up with the maintenance, and there are few known issues that are relatively inexpensive to do: --Andre
Damn, that is a long list, but I guess its good to know what you are getting into.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Andre is a bit off with the mileage of the failures but for the most part is correct. BMW designs these parts to fail so prepared to pay for maintenance. I have an 03 M3 with 107k on the clock and properly taken care of they will last though they will be expensive. Fortunately I have a tech on the side and get parts cheaper than wholesale so it's no big deal for me. Do your homework when the car needs repairs and you will save yourself some dough.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B2C2V
Andre, you sure summarized my MY02 330i 120k miles's life! In my case, replaced water pumps twice.

If your water pump goes again, you may want to get the EMP Stewart. It's much better built than any version of the OEMs. I put mine in a while ago, and just forgot about the water pump.

--Andre

enjoiii

Reaction score
Nice car for the price. Maintenance will be more then other similarly priced cars but shouldn't be too terrible. I Highly recommend

pinchi22

Reaction score
Love my e46, though I definitely think it handles better with the sport package. I´ve had occasional problems (e.g., window regulator, a weakness in the e46). It´s advisable to find a trusty, independent mechanic. The rest of the time, however, I simply drive around with a bit fat smile.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads