Buying a Chess Set Gift

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by FIHTies, Apr 26, 2006.

1. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Looking for a Chess Set as a gift for a friend in the 150-200 dollar range.

Anyone know of any particular sites to check out in terms of price and quality?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Looking for a Chess Set as a gift for a friend in the 150-200 dollar range.

Anyone know of any particular sites to check out in terms of price and quality?

Thanks in Advance.

http://www.thechessstore.com/

I'd keep it simple and go for the Staunton sets, perhaps something in rosewood, or redsandal wood, if you want to jump up in price. Scouring local estate sales is another avenue; I picked up a gorgeous set a couple years ago for a pittance at one.

koji

3. stilus

stilus New Member

I've seen some interesting chess sets at this adress and also some useful advices on what to look for in a chess set. I think that this is a great gift idea. It's at least a great decoration even if you don't know how to play chess and people tend to think that you're intelligent [​IMG] . I would always go for a wooden set.

4. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Ditto on the wooden Staunton set with a nice board. That's all a chess set needs to be -- to me, the beauty of a chessboard comes with arrangement of the classic Staunton set. Good luck, and you are an awesome friend.