• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buy & Sell - Did I Get SCAMMED?

deranged

Reaction score
I just want to get some opinion.

I bought a watch from B+S forum here. We agreed to a price that was higher than his asking price because he had to ship to Canada.
I paid for the watch via paypal on April 28th. He msged me and told me that he sent out the watch on April 30th and the item would arrive within 1 week. He said he couldn't provide me with a tracking number because he didn't pay for one.

I waited and waited. No item.

On May 12th, he sent me another msg saying that he "accidentally" wrote the wrong shipping address and the item was returned to him. He claimed that he immediately sent the item out again with the correct shipping address, again not getting a tracking number. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, because I've been buying from this site for almost 2 years and had ZERO problems.

I've sent him 2 msgs within the past 2 weeks and there has been no reply. I told him that I would dispute this with Paypal if I didn't receive the item before June 7th, which gives the item more than 3 weeks to arrive from the date that he "resent" the item out.

What should I do in this case. What is best procedure for me to use to get my money back? I paid for the item almost a month and a half ago, is that too long a time lag for me to dispute the charges?

I don't want to name him because he has 300+ posts and I don't want to ruin his rep yet in case the item arrives... but it's not looking too hopeful and i'm thinking i just got scammed...

I live in Toronto, would it be possible that customs is holding my item back? I can't imagine it would take 3 weeks.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to know at this point if you got scammed but it could certainly take longer than three weeks to arrive depending on how it was sent, though he should still communicate in the meantime.

burnsy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
I just want to get some opinion.

I bought a watch from B+S forum here. We agreed to a price that was higher than his asking price because he had to ship to Canada.
I paid for the watch via paypal on April 28th. He msged me and told me that he sent out the watch on April 30th and the item would arrive within 1 week. He said he couldn't provide me with a tracking number because he didn't pay for one.

On May 12th, he sent me another msg saying that he "accidentally" wrote the wrong shipping address and the item was returned to him. He claimed that he immediately sent the item out again with the correct shipping address, again not getting a tracking number. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, because I've been buying from this site for almost 2 years and had ZERO problems.

I've sent him 2 msgs within the past 2 weeks and there has been no reply. I told him that I would dispute this with Paypal if I didn't receive the item before June 7th, which gives the item more than 3 weeks to arrive from the date that he "resent" the item out.

What should I do in this case. What is best procedure for me to use to get my money back? I paid for the item almost a month and a half ago, is that too long a time lag for me to dispute the charges?

I don't want to name him because he has 300+ posts and I don't want to ruin his rep yet in case the item arrives... but it's not looking too hopeful and i'm thinking i just got scammed...

I live in Toronto, would it be possible that customs is holding my item back? I can't imagine it would take 3 weeks.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

one and a half months is a long time to wait for an item to arrive, REGARDLESS of where you live

i had this situation happen to me before
the watch ended up being seized by customs (ended up being counterfeit)
just wait till the 7th as you promised and then file your claim if he doesn't produce a product

XeF4

Reaction score
Just try to communicate with him. There are many problems that can come up from shipping, especially from the U.S. to Canada.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A watch? No tracking number? WTF

Valor

Reaction score
Don't know how much the watch was, but I'm pretty sure you should have tracking for anything over 300$ unless you're really ballsy.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
File a dispute or do a chargeback immediately. If the watch shows up, than great, paypal him back the money. If it doesn't, then at least you've got your money back. The more time you wait, the less recourse you have if something does go wrong.

Canal Directo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
I just want to get some opinion. I bought a watch from B+S forum here. We agreed to a price that was higher than his asking price because he had to ship to Canada. I paid for the watch via paypal on April 28th. He msged me and told me that he sent out the watch on April 30th and the item would arrive within 1 week. He said he couldn't provide me with a tracking number because he didn't pay for one. I waited and waited. No item. On May 12th, he sent me another msg saying that he "accidentally" wrote the wrong shipping address and the item was returned to him. He claimed that he immediately sent the item out again with the correct shipping address, again not getting a tracking number. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, because I've been buying from this site for almost 2 years and had ZERO problems. I waited and waited. No item. I've sent him 2 msgs within the past 2 weeks and there has been no reply. I told him that I would dispute this with Paypal if I didn't receive the item before June 7th, which gives the item more than 3 weeks to arrive from the date that he "resent" the item out. What should I do in this case. What is best procedure for me to use to get my money back? I paid for the item almost a month and a half ago, is that too long a time lag for me to dispute the charges? I don't want to name him because he has 300+ posts and I don't want to ruin his rep yet in case the item arrives... but it's not looking too hopeful and i'm thinking i just got scammed... I live in Toronto, would it be possible that customs is holding my item back? I can't imagine it would take 3 weeks. Any comments and advice would be appreciated.
Dude it's already pretty easy to find who the guy is. The same thing happened to me with a pretty expensive watch I bought via a forum. The guy told me he had sent the watch, I waited 2 or 3 weeks and when I started to really freak out, fortunately it arrived. Actually he went on vacation and sent me the watch after coming back, stll I trusted the guy in the first place because I had his name, address and knew where he worked, so I had some leverage on him. Do you have any info on the seller? If he is not responding, go by your plan, don't take any chances.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
A watch? No tracking number? WTF

Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
File a dispute or do a chargeback immediately. If the watch shows up, than great, paypal him back the money. If it doesn't, then at least you've got your money back. The more time you wait, the less recourse you have if something does go wrong.

Originally Posted by Jodum5
Out him! Why didn't the dumbass order insurance and a tracking number?

+1. You should have agreed that the price would have included the necessary tracking info.

300+ posts is hardly anything to assume the guy has a good reputation. Hell, at the rate some of these guys post on SF, that could just be a couple of days' worth of active posting.

If he's not responding to provide you additional assurances, start the charge-back process soon. I don't think you "promised" anything by mentioning the 7th. If you feel better about it doing it sooner, do it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a number on the customs form he had to fill out. Enter that number into the CP site and it acts as a tracking number and you should be able to follow it through all the CP stations.

lefty

deranged

Reaction score
Its not a really expensive watch. i paid just over a hundred for it. He told me he had insurance on it, just no tracking number. I think i'm going wait until next Monday because I want to keep my word in the msg I sent him.

Whats the best way to contact paypal? I haven't had time to research it yet, but please let me know if you know off the top of your head.

Thanks for all the help guys.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You go straight to that paypal transaction on the website and there is a link to click if you have not received the item

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worth noting that when I used to ship artwork to Canada the customs would take ******* years to get it delivered. I once had a customer who was pissed that his $20,000 painting had been held by customs for 5 months for an undisclosed reason.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been delays in the Canadian custom in recent months.

Having said that, no tracking sounds very suspicious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics