• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button vs. Zip Fly?

morsem

Reaction score
Anyone have a preference?

It would seem that the button fly is more "old school" and has a greater degree of handwork on a high end suit.

On the other side, it would seem that it would not produce as nice of a line in your trousers aside from the fact that it must be more difficult to... you know...

What do you think? I've never had a button fly so let me in on the secrets...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found the zip vastly convenient compared to the zip fly - the only times it really matters are when there's a crowd in the bathroom and or something like that. But it's always nice to be able to open and close in a couple seconds. Although it's easier to forget to zip up than button up. Also, buttons fall off sometimes.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The button fly has the advantage that you will not be caught with "your barn door open, and all the animals getting out".

Yes, it requires more handwork, and is usually seen as a sign of quality on a more expensive suit. Also, I believe that when sitting down, it will result in a better line on the crotch of the pants than a zipper - since the buttons are more flexible and don't have a tendency to make the crotch 'pop up' as can happen with zippers.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
If I remember correctly from the last time this came up, I'm one of the few who strongly prefers buttons. Easier, less likely to catch, actually lie better.

Tom

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind buying a suit with zip fly pants, but if I was to get a bespoke suit, hand-stitched button fly for sure as that's how it was done in the olden days.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thoughts as the others. Button fly seems to give a better and more appealing fit but very inconvenient.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Girls also seem to struggle with undoing button-fly pants.
devil.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
button fly lays nicer, thus it is my preference

boston

Reaction score
Zip fly on suits. Button fly on jeans.

For some reason my jeans can fasten and unfasten very quickly with button fly (maybe it's the stiffer denim material), but on my softer chinos, buttons take an age to do up and down.

Therefore, on my wool suits I've gone for zips.

-boston

ted

Reaction score
Don't like button-fly pants, too much trouble doing them up when in a public restroom.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
devil.gif

I have big fingers and as popular as that is with the girls, it is a struggle to button the fly in moments of haste or at public urinals when it can create question marks.

I got one pair of suit trousers made with a button fly because a friend of mine and his father swear by them. Never again.

I actually wanted to get the button fly replaced with a zip one but without enough of the original goods used to make the suit, it cannot be replaced.

joseanes

Reaction score
They struggle, but they enjoy it... in my opinion and experience and by their own account (on a couple of them at least).

Originally Posted by VersaceMan
devil.gif

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I revive a 12yo thread, but I think it's a question worth discussing.
I still have and use a couple of bespoke suits I had made many years ago, and their pants are high rise, pleated and with a very long fly, with buttons.
I find this have many advantages:
- buttoned fly drapes better than zipped. The zip itself is too rigid to follow body movements;
- you can first fasten the waist buttons and then easily insert your hand inside the fly to tuck down the shirt on both sides;
- with minimal experience you can button your fly as quickly as if pulling up a zip;
- you can quickly and safely draw the gun in emergency, while with more recent, RTW made and lower rise trousers it's necessary to unfasten belt and undo waist buttons ...

For me, a deep buttoned fly is the best - I'd like to hear other opinions though.

Last edited:

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer a higher rise and button fly (but no pleats, or at most a single pleat), both for fit and--in the case of the buttons--for the nostalgic reason noted below.

I don't mind buying a suit with zip fly pants, but if I was to get a bespoke suit, hand-stitched button fly for sure as that's how it was done in the olden days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics