• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burnished Calf Leather Question

DoctorG

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Loake 1880 Buckinghams at my local shoe store. When I got home, I noticed that the shoe box had the description as "Brown Burnished Calf"

What exactly is "burnished" calf leather? From a quick google search it sounds like it's a process in which the leather is rubbed smooth. In the store I was holding these next to AE strands and McAllisters, and the leather didn't seem noticeably different to me.

Is burnished calf leather any different than regular full grain leather? Will it still absorb conditioner and cream just as well as non-burnished full grain leather? Can it be waxed to a mirror shine on the toe?

The shoe can be seen here:

http://www.thebigredbuilding.com/mens-shoes/loakes/loake-1880/loake-buckingham-full-brogue-shoe.html

Thanks!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Burnishing is a finishing process where the leather is rubbed with a spoon or piece of wood (etc) while the leather is wet or moist. This rubbing darkens the leather. Once dry it stays this way.
Best way to care for your shoes is to periodically apply leather lotion oncea month or 2, let dry, brush, then buff with a soft cloth (flannel). The factory Burnished finish should remain intact.
Welcome to Styleforum and congratulations on your purchase. May you enjoy them in good health.

Last edited:

DoctorG

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful information.

I was concerned that the burnishing process might change the quality of the leather (suppleness, ability to take a shine, conditioner absorbtion, etc). Lurking around the forums I ran into some discussion of corrected grain and how it differs from full grain, so wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into with "burnished" leather. From your description it seems that burnishing primarily affects the color of the shoe.

As you suggested, I'll purchase some leather lotion and a buffing brush to care for the shoe (already have some meltonian cream polish).

Thanks again!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I have no experience with the Loake 1880 line. Others here can pinpoint the leather type for you.
With burnished finishes such as this one, I have many pair in Burnished Walnut by Allen Edmonds and I treat them as previously stated. I don't use polishes per se because they would cover the natural leather finish. I simply apply lotion periodically, let dry, brush and buff. This alone maintains the finish and, in the case of my AE's, a nice lustre as opposed to a high shine.
Hopefully someone with Loake 1880 experience will ring in to assist further.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads