• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building muscle and suits.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically, it's better to go for lean and wiry than "bulky" when it comes to clothes.

Things just look better on you when you're leaner. You'll look awkward if you're big and in a suit -- and it does not matter if you're fat or muscular.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Typically, it's better to go for lean and wiry than "bulky" when it comes to clothes.

Things just look better on you when you're leaner. You'll look awkward if you're big and in a suit -- and it does not matter if you're fat or muscular.

I disagree with this, but if looking slightly awkward with my 10 inch difference between waist and chest is the cost, I'll take my muscles
wink.gif

While it may sound barbaric I think I command more respect in my business being my size then being thin and wiry (I should mention that I am pretty young, which makes a difference IMO)
thumbs-up.gif

I still think that with a proper fit one should be able to tell the difference between a muscular gentleman and a fat one.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I disagree with this, but if looking slightly awkward with my 10 inch difference between waist and chest is the cost, I'll take my muscles
wink.gif

While it may sound barbaric I think I command more respect in my business being my size then being thin and wiry (I should mention that I am pretty young, which makes a difference IMO)
thumbs-up.gif

I still think that with a proper fit one should be able to tell the difference between a muscular gentleman and a fat one.

That's probably all in your head. If you're in a professional field that requires a suit, you probably get little to no respect based on the fact that you're young. That's my experience anyway.

As to OP's question, to echo other's comments, going bespoke is obviously a bad idea if you're going to fluctuate your size and weight. But it also depends on how much you're going to fluctuate. If you're only talking less than 20 lbs, a nice fitting jacket should be fine. It takes a lot to significantly increase the width of your shoulders, which is the most important part of a suit jacket or blazer. Pants are my biggest problem. The last time I bulked up, I put on about 25 fairly evenly distributed lbs doing heavy squats and deadlifts. My jackets were fine, but I had to have the waist and seat let out of all my pants. Then I cut back down and had to have them taken in. Just don't buy any nice clothes until you've reached your ideal weight. It's just too expensive.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

The only reason muscular people usually look bad in suits is because the traditional men's suit was designed for for thin, frail men that didn't have any shoulders. Take away the unnecessary shoulder padding, the billowing drape, and instead fit the garment close to the body (without compromising mobility) and suddenly I think you'll find that muscular guys look best in suits (provided they don't have a belly). I think only a select few of bespoke tailors are capable of making such a soft-structured, well-fitted suit, and you'll probably have to go to Naples or London.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wink.gif

thumbs-up.gif

I'm not saying that one cannot differentiate -- merely that they tend to look awkward, unless they are custom tailored.

And I agree with you -- I've had to stop wearing some of my favorite, tailored shirts when I started putting on muscle. The biggest problems were my traps, which increased my neck size.

Originally Posted by Svenn
The only reason muscular people usually look bad in suits is because the traditional men's suit was designed for for thin, frail men that didn't have any shoulders. Take away the unnecessary shoulder padding, the billowing drape, and instead fit the garment close to the body (without compromising mobility) and suddenly I think you'll find that muscular guys look best in suits (provided they don't have a belly). I think only a select few of bespoke tailors are capable of making such a soft-structured, well-fitted suit, and you'll probably have to go to Naples or London.

This is a good point. Natural shoulders and other attributes that are common to Neapolitan tailoring will accentuate muscular builds. However, I will disagree with you on only Neapolitan or London tailors being capable of such work -- Chan, for instance, has started incorporating several such attributes, and so have others.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good system.

A 150lb pull weight sound intense! I'll stick with my 80lb compound matthews
laugh.gif

I cant pull that 150# weight back very easily on a longbow. It breaks my balls but I can get it most the way back. I used to have a Hoyt Compound Bow from early 90's with a 130# pull, that had some power. Wish I never sold it.

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score
So I am in a position where I am about a fortnight away from ordering my first MTM suit but I have also just started doing a 'Spartan' workout class a few days a week. I am wondering if it's smarter to hold off ordering the suit after a couple of months of training? I am not a particularly muscular guy, rather quite lean from three years of boxing.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holding off would seem sensible. In 4 months time you'll know if
(A) You're gonna keep up the classes
(B) Bulk the **** up
(C) Take up muscle building as a hobby

Jermyn

Reaction score
I think that everyone is clearly missing the obvious point:

Get bespoke shoes instead.

Seriosuly though. My weight has gone up into the 220 range whilst bulking and I now sit around a comfortable 185lbs.

I think I'll probably maintain this weight (maybe gradually losing small amounts of fat and gaining small amounts of muscle.

My Suit jackets still fit pretty well, with my pants I wear a belt and fold material under a belt loop to creat a single 'pleat' on one side. This way I can wear my bulk pants and throw in a little sprezz for good measure.
laugh.gif

My newer suits and jacekts are tailored to my current size but have enough material to let out should the need ever arise.

If you're planning on bulking up. you may even consider having two pairs of pants made, with one having a 2 inch bigger waist than the other. Just have the jacket cut a little loose and you should be OK.

Obviously the above is not 'ideal', but its a solution.

My shirts still fit almost perfectly. My neck tends to hover around 17.25" regardless of what I do, I have always had to have them tailored because of this, lest I appear like a flying squirrel.

Hopefully, you'll be equally fortunate in this department.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
So I am in a position where I am about a fortnight away from ordering my first MTM suit but I have also just started doing a 'Spartan' workout class a few days a week. I am wondering if it's smarter to hold off ordering the suit after a couple of months of training? I am not a particularly muscular guy, rather quite lean from three years of boxing.

If, by "Spartan workout class," you mean something like the 300 workout, Gym Jones, or CrossFit, you do not have to worry. None of those programs will bulk you up. Those type of programs are good only for burning fat and, if you're not careful, muscle.

inq89

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation, bulking to my ideal body weight which is still 25lbs away. I've been needing a suit for some time now but won't be investing in one until I am comfortable with my weight. I've thought about getting a cheap one as a placeholder, but even then I hope to meet my goal by the end of the year. I suggest OP should just wait until he meets his goals, or alternatively use thick as thieves or something to get a cheap suit in the meantime.

edit: I try to lean bulk. My waist size has remained about the same so far (I was lean when I started). But have gone up in chest size so my shirts are starting to fill out more. I went from a 38 to 40, may be 42 by the time I'm done so that is why I am waiting on the suit.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
It takes a lot to significantly increase the width of your shoulders, which is the most important part of a suit jacket or blazer. Pants are my biggest problem. The last time I bulked up, I put on about 25 fairly evenly distributed lbs doing heavy squats and deadlifts. My jackets were fine, but I had to have the waist and seat let out of all my pants. Then I cut back down and had to have them taken in.

This.

I've been doing P90X for a year and I wear the same size as when I started. Granted, my clothing was probably way too big when I started (SF is all about tailored fits), but it's much harder to significantly alter your clothing sizes then one might think.

Also, "bulking" and "cutting"... unless you are a competition bodybuilder this is a terrible approach. It's much, much better to eat right from day one and go slow. It is hard to add on lean muscle, and it can't be rushed.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
This.

I've been doing P90X for a year and I wear the same size as when I started. Granted, my clothing was probably way too big when I started (SF is all about tailored fits), but it's much harder to significantly alter your clothing sizes then one might think.

Also, "bulking" and "cutting"... unless you are a competition bodybuilder this is a terrible approach. It's much, much better to eat right from day one and go slow. It is hard to add on lean muscle, and it can't be rushed.

Yes but bulking is a great excuse to eat like crap and gain muscle
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics