• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a new shoe wardrobe - Need recommendations

hopfin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it. Based on your input I think I will start with 4 pairs.

1) AE PA Black
2) AE Strand Black
3) Shortwing Blucher brown
4) Brown loafers

Some additional thoughts/questions. Any input is appreciated.

1. I am tentatively adding a black Strand to the list based on Makoto's suggestion. This is because I wear charcoal and navy a lot. Good choice? Is there a more versatile black shoe? Is a black Strand too formal for charcoal/navy business chinos?

2. I understand that AE doesn't offer a shortwing blucher. Please let me know some other good models that are comparably priced to AE. And any word on when AE be releasing a shortwing blucher?

3. There doesn't seem to be much consistency on an additional brown lace up shoe. Something highly versatile would be preferred. I thought a plain toe derby would be a good option. I considered the Leeds but it looked a little bulky looking. On the other hand, some of you have suggested that the Keniworth was too formal looking for chinos and jeans.

Maybe its just better to stick with above 4 shoes for now. Or is a plain toe derby still important to have?

4. I figure I will add the brown boat shoes and Chukkas down the way. I will probably drop the black loafers - or at least make it my last shoe to buy.

Thanks again.

billythekid

Reaction score
Id just reconsider the park aves...especially with the Black Strands and being an infrequent suit wearer. You could always wear that Strands and a brown shoe with a navy/grey suit rotation. Great choices though!
Start with 3 maybe for two months. Esoecially if you are keeping a pair or two of your old shoes...maybe for rainy days.

ultravisitor

Reaction score

I am tentatively adding a black Strand to the list based on Makoto's suggestion. This is because I wear charcoal and navy a lot. Good choice? Is there a more versatile black shoe? Is a black Strand too formal for charcoal/navy business chinos?
I would not get the Strand in black. I would get it in oxblood, especially if you'll be wearing them with navy and/or charcoal. The oxblood is a beautiful color, and it's much more versatile than black.

Last edited:

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
I recommend diversifying your colors: medium brown, light brown, tan. From my experience, color makes a shoe stand out more so than its styling details. To the average person, all dark shoes look the same. When I started wearing lighter browns and various tans, I started getting more compliments on what I was wearing.

julius12

Reaction score
I'd start with these for office wear rotation:

Black oxford cap toe
Brown derby brogues - can be used with jeans and chinos too
Black chelsea boots - a clear difference from the black oxford, and can be used with gray/black jeans
Brown monk strap - also a clear difference from the brown derby, more dressed up than a loafer, and can be worn with casual wear

I understand about trying to diversify colors, but I wouldn't want the browns too diverse as i don't like having to own too many matching belts as it is a pain **********, especially when travelling. The browns of the belts and shoes don't have to match exactly though, so I just keep the colors close to the brown belt I have.

For casual wear:
Brown boat shoes / driving mocs - brown coz of the belt thing, and can be worn in the most casual occasions like when wearing shorts
White or light gray classic canvas sneakers - colors can go with navy and gray jeans, as casual as the boaters but also a different non-preppy look
Brown chukkas - my favorite, but the least needed as it can be replaced by the brown brogues for a smart casual look, and it can't go as casual as the boaters (which are practically my slippers)

hopfin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. This is currently where the list stands.

(1) Oxford Cap Toe in Black - AE PA in Black
(2) Brogue
(3) Derby
(4) Penny Loafer in Brown - (style and model TBD)
(5) Chukkas - (style, color and model TBD)
(6) Brown boat shoes (style and model TBD)

I plan to buy the first three soon and add the others down the way. However, I remain confused on (2) and (3) above. Given my use cases, I have two questions.

1. What type of brogue shoe do you recommend? Oxford or derby? Long wingtip, short wingtip, or semi brogue? Brown, walnut, or black?

2. What type and color derby do you recommend? Plain toe? Black, brown, bourbon, or walnut? What model, e.g. Kennilworth or Leeds?

Thanks everyone.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the brogue, I'd get a wingtip blucher in dark brown. Either shortwing or longwing is fine.

For the chukka, I just wanted to point out Barneys has a pretty great deal on this Franceschetti suede chukka right now with lots of sizes left. Was $565 now $238:
http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/fra...ate&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-czxAH5IatLcxCZKlCbOSsA

Final sale though, so be sure of sizing.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. This is currently where the list stands.

(1) Oxford Cap Toe in Black - AE PA in Black
(2) Brogue
(3) Derby
(4) Penny Loafer in Brown - (style and model TBD)
(5) Chukkas - (style, color and model TBD)
(6) Brown boat shoes (style and model TBD)

I plan to buy the first three soon and add the others down the way. However, I remain confused on (2) and (3) above. Given my use cases, I have two questions.

1. What type of brogue shoe do you recommend? Oxford or derby? Long wingtip, short wingtip, or semi brogue? Brown, walnut, or black?

2. What type and color derby do you recommend? Plain toe? Black, brown, bourbon, or walnut? What model, e.g. Kennilworth or Leeds?

Thanks everyone.

IMO, a brown wingtip derby in a shade like Allen Edmonds bourbon will work with biz caz and dark jeans and a suede chukka. Not the hugest fan of Allen Edmonds but I much prefer the Kenilworth to the Leeds. Get the Kenilworth in bourbon or brown. Not a fan of the walnut colour.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

....Any recs on the other derby?
Not sure about your budget but one my favorite derby is RL Marlowe shortwing cordovan. Also, it seems like you prefer AE, go for the Clifton. a cap toe brougue

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads