• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a new computer

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Why bother with RAID at all? Why not just run two drives in tandem and back one up to the other?

That's what the IT dept. at my old job did. They had the drives back themselves up periodically with failsafes, that way if one of the drives had an issue (virus, corruption, etc..), the backup would not back onto the bad drive and the most recent backup, with functioning data was still available.

That reminds me: I have to back up with Time Machine tonight.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I've explained to you CLEARLY and with verifiable facts that you are mistaken, and you still don't get it?

where is the quote? just because you say you can't it doesn't mean one couldn't. I wanna see that quote. period.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
where is the quote? just because you say you can't it doesn't mean one couldn't. I wanna see that quote. period.

Here's a thought. Instead of making prissy demands like this, re-read the thread?

ffffuuuu.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

quotes1m.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Doesn't mean one couldn't what? What are you even saying here? I've already showed you the quote where you said Windows 98SE is "better" for gaming than anything else, which is insanely, marsupialedly untrue for all the reasons I've brought up. You keep disagreeing with me, and spouting "facts", none of which have been true. Now you are just trying to annoy me into giving up. But I don't give up when I get annoyed.
smile.gif

So, when are you show me evidence that Windows 98SE runs modern games better than XP, Vista, or 7? You can't because such evidence does not exist. Because while you may LIKE 98SE, it has pretty severe limitations that inhibit you from playing most modern games.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotdamn, placed my order:

i7 860
Gigabyte UD3R P55
4 GB Ram
ATI HD 5850
2x500 GB Seagates.

Looks like the system will be quite cool w/ both a single gfx card and the i7 860. A far cry from my initial build :p

The above actually seems to make more sense for my original thought of microatxing the whole build.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, thinking of getting a headset and loading up on some peripherals through the guy selling me the stuff.

Anybody have anything to recommend? I like ones that go over my ears. The razer cacharias looks like a pretty set. It'll be used for mainly gaming and my occasional conference calls over skype.

I should be sticking to trusty ole MX500 for the point n clicky

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
ATI HD 5850

Cool, I am running a Sapphhire HD5850 as well. It's been running everything I've thrown at it at 1600x1050 without any problems at all, including Crysis. At $250 it's a great bang for the buck video card.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Also, thinking of getting a headset and loading up on some peripherals through the guy selling me the stuff.

Anybody have anything to recommend? I like ones that go over my ears. The razer cacharias looks like a pretty set. It'll be used for mainly gaming and my occasional conference calls over skype.

I should be sticking to trusty ole MX500 for the point n clicky

I have this http://www.amazon.com/Steel-SteelSou.../dp/B000IC0VYA it's really nice.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
No Win98SE?? You pathetic fool!!!! I feel sorry for you and your family.

Speaking of pathetic, I have a copy of Windows Me.
facepalm.gif
Hey, it came with my Dell ....

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I've already showed you the quote where you said Windows 98SE is "better" for gaming than anything else

no, I wanna see the quote where I said you need weaker processors for gaming ..

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
no, I wanna see the quote where I said you need weaker processors for gaming ..

IT IS THE SAME THING!

Seriously, are you completely brain dead? You can't say Win98SE is superior for gaming and then discount that it WILL NOT PLAY most games because it does not support modern hardware that it takes to run them.

And yet you are repeatedly doing so.

You obviously have no proof to back up your assertions, which is why you've posted the same idiotic thing four or five times in a row now.

When you grow up, hopefully you'll learn not to spout off and pretend you know what you are talking about. If not, everyone around you who knows anything is going to think you are a complete idiot like everyone in this thread now does. Thanks for the entertainment.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been favorably impressed by Windows 7

I was fearing that upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 would innevitably render my computer slower ( HP with Intel Core2 Duo CPU and 2GB RAM ), as usually has been the case when upgrading in the past.

Additionally I had a bad experience installing IE8 on Vista before, the browser kept blocking and I had to remove it.

But the computer now in full Windows 7 , runs smooth and fast, no blocking on the IE and the general performance seem improved.

I did a full new install though, no upgrade.

The IE8 is integrated with the operating system, so I can understand why blocked under vista but runs fast and smooth on Windows 7.

Also full multimedia support for all kinds of modern media formats without any add-on

recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads