• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows 7 mini-review

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Great so you're saying if I get one of those fancy Vizio 40" TVs from Walmart, my VHS tapes are going to look even worse than before? Super!

Yeah, and VHS is only 640x480 to start with...
smile.gif
so your 40" tv will have about the same sized picture as a 13" tv. You can stretch it, but you will be very disappointed in what you get. At least your ripped dvd's MIGHT be widescreen, so when you stretch them everyone doesn't look like an oompa loompa. (ignore if you are only watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But would it look any worse than a 40" picture tube tv? That's what I wonder.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But would it look any worse than a 40" picture tube tv? That's what I wonder.
Much.
SD_scaling_on_HDTV.jpg
640x480 image stretched to fit a 1920x1080 space. (this is a somewhat extreme simulation, but essentially, this is what you will be getting, along with width distortion.) on a tube tv, the picture is not stretched, no matter how big the screen because it is essentially "projected" onto the screen surface. Upconverting the signal fixes this, to an extent of course, but you can't upconvert an HD signal through composite video. So if you are serious about completely avoiding DRM, you are **** out of luck.
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ohh that's right I never took resolutions into account. I'm marsupialed heh. Well thanks, you just saved me over 300 bucks. My TV is 23 inches and was thinking about something bigger. Now I can go to craigslist instead of Best Buy

The quality of all my Get a Life Episodes ripped from VHS to DVD must not be allowed to get any worse than it already is.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ohh that's right I never took resolutions into account. I'm marsupialed heh. Well thanks, you just saved me over 300 bucks. My TV is 23 inches and was thinking about something bigger. Now I can go to craigslist instead of Best Buy The quality of all my Get a Life Episodes ripped from VHS to DVD must not be allowed to get any worse than it already is.
Could always just pick up Get A Life on DVD. Edit: Whoa, I just checked out Amazon, and Volume 1 (which I own) is going for $300 new and $40-$150 used? What the hell?!?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never released. Only 2 volumes are out on DVD. I like Chris Elliot because he's like the real life Master Shake.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Never released. Only 2 volumes are out on DVD. I like Chris Elliot because he's like the real life Master Shake.
Well if you wanted to buy the first four episodes off me, make me a reasonable offer. I rarely watch them.
smile.gif
Maybe kick me down some of that $300 I just saved you.
biggrin.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have them all now, but thanks
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have them all now, but thanks
smile.gif

Thought you had them ripped from VHS to DVD though.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
By the way, score another one for the king of derailing threads!

biggrin.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry. Anyway I have the entire run of the show, which was never released on DVD and probably never will be.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry. Anyway I have the entire run of the show, which was never released on DVD and probably never will be.
It took you 12 and a half hours to not answer my question? You better be sorry... There are 8 episodes on DVD. At DVD quality. I have the first four. It sounds like you don't want them, and that you are happy with your crappy VHS rips. Is that the case?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I already have those 8 eps on DVD. The rest of the series I have is ripped from VHS.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I already have those 8 eps on DVD. The rest of the series I have is ripped from VHS.
OIC

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads