Budget shopping

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aloys, Jan 30, 2012.

1. aloys

aloys Member

This is my first post. I need to add to my suit collection, but I am running on a serious budget. I own several Hugo Boss suits and Brook Bros suits that I paid 600 to 800 for. I have been happy with those suits. They have lasted long and look good. I wear a suit 4 days a week, and I want to buy something under 500. What is my best option for a suit under 500. I know what a decent suit looks like and feels like, and I know what a bad suit looks and feels like. What I want to know is what are the best suits out there that are cheap. I know there is a lot of hate on this forum for Jos Bank, but why is it so bad to spend $250 on one of their suits, marked down? How about Banana Republic or the Calvin Klein stuff at Macy's. Is there a cheap suit that is actually well made and stylish?

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

what size are you? i have some Hart Schaffner Marx suits and Joseph Abboud suits that are a good quality and a great price.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

If there's a NM Last Call near you, the (half-canvassed) Hickey Freeman suits are often available for around $450 or so. Get on their mailing list and there's usually a 30% off (or more) coupon to be found. The Benjamin suits from eHaberdasher for $495 seem to be pretty well liked around here too:
    http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-ALL/oem/Benjamin/start/91/total/201/Categories
    I haven't tried one of his jackets, but I have several pair of trousers and they are all very nice.
    Fred

4. bwp

bwp Senior member

NM Las call is a good suggestion, I would also recommend Suit Supply. You can also check Nordstrom Rack, this time of year they usually have plenty of nice suits brought over from Nordstrom's for clearance.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You can buy new Brooks Brothers 1818 suits on B&S for $295 to $350 all day long.

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

+1

7. lostron

lostron Senior member

From my early experience the Calvin klein stuff is not worth it and for the most part banana republic is a wildcard. A few years ago BR actually made quality stuff but have now made overpriced, low quality suits but with a good fit