• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bud Light Golden Wheat - Ideal College Beer

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
It's unsettling to find out not one of your cohorts knows or cares what Speyside means...let alone what a Single Malt might be.

I don't understand why anyone who is not homeless is willing to accept drinking alcohol as a thoroughly horrible experience, when it can be such a wonderful pleasure. Even when I attempt to teach by example, very few learn. I bought my friend a glass of Balvenie at the bar for his birthday... And his response was "I don't know how much I really like this"

facepalm.gif

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I bought my friend a glass of Balvenie at the bar for his birthday... And his response was "I don't know how much I really like this"

I thought you were going to say he took it as a shot. The worst I've seen was some girl ordering a scotch (laphroaig 12) at a bar which seemed like a blatant attempt to impress who she was with. Even worse, the bartender poured it 'on the rocks.' After a few sips and shouting to everyone around her what she was drinking, she pushed it to the side and ordered a cosmo.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I had you up to here. Corona is worse than any cheap beer.

Strangely I've never tried this, not even in Mexico (Pacifico! and Negra Modelo)

Mr. White

Reaction score
When light beer came out, it was for fat middle-aged men. Watered-down beer is about as useless as 3.2 beer. If college students are going for light and/or flavored beer, it just proves that they're not yet ready to give up the soda bottle. Zima, anyone?

Go the cocktail route until your palate matures.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
When light beer came out, it was for fat middle-aged men. Watered-down beer is about as useless as 3.2 beer. If college students are going for light and/or flavored beer, it just proves that they're not yet ready to give up the soda bottle. Zima, anyone?

Go the cocktail route until your palate matures.

also, light beer is usually <50 calories fewer than the "heavy" counterparts. In the short run, this is negligible enough to not have to sacrifice flavor for "lightness".

Then again, when was the last time there was a light beer whose "heavy" counterpart had flavor...
rimshot.gif

Originally Posted by Listi
I don't understand why anyone who is not homeless is willing to accept drinking alcohol as a thoroughly horrible experience, when it can be such a wonderful pleasure. Even when I attempt to teach by example, very few learn. I bought my friend a glass of Balvenie at the bar for his birthday... And his response was "I don't know how much I really like this"

I once had in my fridge some Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, Bell's Oberon, a Brooklyn Brewery Sampler, and some Young's Double Chocolate, and my roommate at the time had Bud Light + Lime (skunky. ick). My friends knew we had a open fridge policy. Guess what was pilfered first? Some people think that flavor = sugary sweetness... beer is not supposed to be sweet (notable exceptions exist, of course).

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of beer snobs out there nowadays is astonishing. Just because you spent more on your beer doesn't mean you know what other people like!
lurker[1].gif

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
The amount of beer snobs out there nowadays is astonishing. Just because you spent more on your beer doesn't mean you know what other people like!

lurker[1].gif

That is correct. There is also a difference between accepting mediocrity & proclaiming it as gospel. I'm fine with people telling me "I tried so-and-so, and it really wasn't for me." Not fine with people telling me "Your ****** weird ass beer is crap. This BL+Lime tastes better and costs less too." (Perhaps I left that part out last time around.)

Also, my last post wasn't me being snobby (though it definitely sounded that way), it was more how flabbergasted I was that people were less willing to try something that's "different"/"better"/indie (whatever argument you want to make) instead of the less-than-mediocre staple. It seems outlandish... but I guess it's just me. I remember going out with one of my buddies (who introduced me to craft beer & microbrews) and having him pick me out an assorted mix of what he considered staples that I had to try. I guess other people are more complacent than I. Or maybe they simply don't care. I don't know.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ sometimes people just like what they like and want what's familiar to them. Trying something new involves uncertainty and a value judgement and an examination of one's own tastes, which involves introspection, which is not exactly at the forefront when you're hanging with the guise and grabbing a beer.

FWIW, if I'm trying something new (beer, scotch, bourbon, whatever), I'd rather be alone than in a group. In a group I'd rather focus on being sociable than evaluating my drink.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, there are basic and popular good beers. Samuel Adams is a good beer, Guinness is a good beer, Smithwick's is pretty decent, as is Newcastle Brown Ale. There are lots of microbrews that are very nice that don't try to shove ridiculous amounts of hops/malt/alcohol down your throat as well, what about Brooklyn Lager? That's a nice easy drinking lager, that's head and shoulders above anything Budweiser, Miller, or what have you.

I don't meet many people who say they &quot;enjoy&quot; drinking **** beer. They buy it because it gets them drunk. I'm not saying everyone should drink only obscure Belgian beers, or extreme craft brewery offerings. It's perfectly okay to say &quot;I like lager and pilsner the most.&quot; But drink good lagers and pilsners! Drinking something nice like Czechvar, Urquell, or Brooklyn will give you a much better experience than Bud Light, without stretching your tastebuds or imagination too much.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Strangely I've never tried this, not even in Mexico (Pacifico! and Negra Modelo)

Primo hecho en mexico

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with college kids these days? Drinking crappy beer is part of the college experience. When I was in college, we drank the Beast and liked it.

randob300

Reaction score
Nothing like a bunch of guys making six figures telling college kids living off of loans that their beer is ****** and they need to upgrade. A five dollar difference in price for a case is a big deal; let alone doubling or tripling the cost.

We drank what someone bought or what was on special. Not like you can even read the label a few hours into the party, let alone notice a difference in taste. Light beer; dark beer; micro brew; doesn't matter as long as you weren't alone when clothes came off at the end of the night.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm all for buying and drinking cheap beer. But when you're buying more expensive beer and you choose Corona, THAT I have a problem with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads