• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown pin-stripe suit, what color shoes?

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
What color and style of shoes, belt and hosiery would you guys wear with this suit? Â It is a double vented, Hugo Boss in Super 150's. I have worn it with black belt/black cap toes and it looks good. Â I tried some black slip-ons I have, did not look right. Any other thoughts?
suit.jpg

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear it with dark brown shoes, a matching dark brown belt, and charcoal brown socks.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the photo what shade of brown the suit is, but my best guess is that it would look good with a range of brown shoes, especially darker browns. Â I would not wear black shoes with a brown suit. As to what styles are appropriate, I would say the same styles that are appropriate for any business suit. Â What styles those are has been discussed in considerable detail in lots of other threads. Â While everyone is not in perfect agreement, but the majority opinion recommends lace-ups including plain-toe, cap-toe, and wingtips. Or see this thread: Black shoes with a brown suit, Ca va? Regards, dan

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
If you guys dont mind, shoot some links to shoes that you have in mind (style/color).

The suit is a darker brown, with a chalk like blue pinstripe.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sometimes I like to wear black shoes with a brown suit, just to be contrary. But it probably wouldn't work with that suit. To "chocolaty". You need a darker "town brown."

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some brown wholecuts would look great. Here is a pair of mine, by Crockett and Jones.
p10101319am.jpg

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you guys dont mind, shoot some links to shoes that you have in mind (style/color).
The first thing that I thought of when I saw that suit was a dark brown plain-toe bal with a floating medallion from Grenson (Stuart's Choice) that I bought a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture anywhere. There are any number of different shoe styles that I would wear with that suit. The wholecut idea already posted is excellent. This Martegani shoe from Franco's in Richmond would also work well:
76550.jpg
(It's actually darker and less reddish than the picture would indicate). Any variety of cap-toes and wing-tips would also be good. The sky's the limit.

Crockett

Reaction score
I like that suit. In a recent Burberry thread I asked a question about a very similar suit that they made. For some reason that color combination really appeals to me. Dark brown shoes would be my first choice with that suit.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the dark brown shoes are of a darker brown than the suit, and you should be fine. Black is another option, but I'd go with the dark brown first.

marc37

Reaction score
Chocolate brown suede cap toes
That would be thoroughly foul. Yuk.

Good night: THE SHOOMAN.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads