• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Cashmere

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard they use Loro Piana for their highest line.

I went to the clearance centre in Maine (not the factory store) and got an amazing cashmere sweater made in HK with 3 ply Italian cashmere. No idea if it's Loro Piana, but the handwork is intricate. Retail was $450, got it for around $100 (or less, I can't remember).

EDIT: I also saw the Made in Scotland ones, but I don't think they were as good as my Hong Kong one. They were around $70, and they were good too. Too bad I don't have a car . . .

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few turtlenecks and v necks. They are thick and soft. They don't pill horribly, but they do pill. They run pretty large. I'm a 44 and Medium fits better than Large.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 2 kinds I have seen the Italian Cashmere made in Scotland, and the Triple Ply Scottish Cashmere knitted in Italy and they are both decent.

qyadh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
I have a few turtlenecks and v necks. They are thick and soft. They don't pill horribly, but they do pill. They run pretty large. I'm a 44 and Medium fits better than Large.

+1 on the sizing. BB sweaters run VERY large for their stated size.

lpalma121

Reaction score
Quality isn't that bad but it's not the best. They're not that soft either and for some reason they're overpriced for what they are. Well then again anything BB is.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just disappointed how everything is made in China. Yes, I know Chinese textiles have various tiers of quality, but for the prices they charge for retail, can't they at least stamp a "Made in Italy" or "Made in USA" tag on them by finishing a button or something? The entire "Country Club" line is made in China. Hard to imagine a group of wealthy men dressed in Chinese-made clothes.

On the other hand, for some reason I think of "Made in Hong Kong" as better than China.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kept a BB Black Fleece cashmere for myself, it is made in Italy though, not Scotland, from Italian cashmere.

Very nice quality from what I can tell, and the sizing is right in line with other Black Fleece stuff.

I'm not sure about the comparison between black fleece and golden fleece when it comes to cashmere. I wouldn't buy the 346 stuff.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
There are 2 kinds I have seen the Italian Cashmere made in Scotland, and the Triple Ply Scottish Cashmere knitted in Italy and they are both decent.
wait, so they send italian cashmere to scotland to be knitted, and scottish cashmere to italy? is this some newfangled globalization b-school strategy?
laugh.gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
wait, so they send italian cashmere to scotland to be knitted, and scottish cashmere to italy?

is this some newfangled globalization b-school strategy?
laugh.gif

I noticed that the Country Club Cashmere Sweaters were the the first group and the
Golden Fleece was the second. I asked my SA and she was puzzled at the time too.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
As of October 2008, Brooks Brothers is a 25% partner in what was previously Ballantyne Knitwear in Innerleithen, Scotland. Ballantyne had been acquired a few years ago, by an Italian firm with a Malo connection, from its previous owner Dawson International. The partnership consists of three Italian partner firms, separate endeavours. The name is now "JJ & HB 1788 Cashmere Mills" and produces cashmere knitwear for Brooks Brothers, Ballantyne and the resurrected Braemar brand. That's not to say it's all the same stuff.

Ain't no such thing as Italian or Scottish or Hong Kong cashmere.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the price, it goes without saying that anything at BB should be bought on sale. The cashmere sweaters retail for $348, right now they're on sale at 2 for $499. That sale always coincides with a 25% off event (there's a coupon code right now) so the net price goes down to $187. They're not worth $348, but they're a relative bargain at $187, IMO.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like BB cashmere stuff on steep discount.

I can find most items for at least 60% off at the Factory stores.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Thanks for the opinions, guys. I've sworn off "cheap" cashmere because I think it's a waste of money, but Brooks sounds like at least a step above, if not top of the line.

We will look forward to the HY cashmere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads