• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy Thread

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
^ It’s also well known that “made in Italy” can just as well mean a Chinese factory that has relocated to somewhere in Italy.

Not judging. Just saying people should know the whole of what Italian made can and does mean.
I did not know this. Not it will be even harder to find "ethical" fashion for me.

MattyB83

Reaction score
I certainly hope they survive with a modicum of quality. Their shirts and ties and trousers are my wardrobe staples.

George Mason

Reaction score
^ It’s also well known that “made in Italy” can just as well mean a Chinese factory that has relocated to somewhere in Italy.

Not judging. Just saying people should know the whole of what Italian made can and does mean.
...or that the majority of the manufacturing process took place outside of Italy, with just the finishing details occurring in Italy.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Do you not think that the “Made in America” factor will have a positive influence in a post Corona setting? I think there’s a good chance that all economies begin to have more internally produced focus. Whether that’s through consumer choice or regulatory remains to be seen

hamercha

Reaction score
Do you not think that the “Made in America” factor will have a positive influence in a post Corona setting? I think there’s a good chance that all economies begin to have more internally produced focus. Whether that’s through consumer choice or regulatory remains to be seen
"I think there’s a good chance that all economies begin to have more internally produced focus."
Perhaps they need to focus on the domestic made product. This might require them to make fewer products, trim down retail store.

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
My issue with BB was that you could never find a classic pinstripe in charcoal or navy with dual vents. They would carry all these crazy fabrics like they were chasing fast fashion but never had my previously mentioned updated classics.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My issue with BB was that you could never find a classic pinstripe in charcoal or navy with dual vents. They would carry all these crazy fabrics like they were chasing fast fashion but never had my previously mentioned updated classics.

Same issue with like RL. No clear core assortment, too much seasonal stuff resulting in heavy discounting...places like this se perfectly suited for a good basic assortment that never goes on sale supplemented with more seasonal stuff that does.

odub

Reaction score
"I think there’s a good chance that all economies begin to have more internally produced focus."
Perhaps they need to focus on the domestic made product. This might require them to make fewer products, trim down retail store.

The latter was already happening regardless but CV19 accelerated the process.

I think back in Feb/March, there was an assumption that the disruption to the global supply chain would result in more consolidation at the domestic level and that still seems like a prevailing belief amongst economists though I don't think we'll necessarily see full vertical integration happening domestically. More likely, it would be a reshuffling of the chain, with sourcing and parts of the manufacturing process still being globalized to take advantage of lower overhead in other places but with "finishing" happening in/closer to home. The problem for these clothing companies teetering on bankruptcy now is that their short-term cash flow problems will need to get resolved sooner vs. waiting to see how things shake out a year or so down the road.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not new... been happening probably for a good decade if not longer.

some public health experts have attributed this to the ferocious outbreak of COVID-19 in northern Italy as many of these workers went home to China for the lunar new year celebration.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brooks brothers also brought in their Asian manufacturing partner, TAL to revamp the shirt factory. And of course increase production and lower quality. They spent a great deal of money on southwick to turn out a clean garment. Yet they cant compete price wise with imports.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even their shoes, they used to carry reputable shoes by EG, Peal (C&J) and AE but they've pretty much replaced them all with their own Golden Fleece line which are more expensive, lower quality, blake-stitch Italian made shoes.

Cherokeepilot

Reaction score
I've observed that the quality of the Brooks Brothers Ties has gone down markedly over the years....even the clerks are not happy with the quality. Kind of a shame.......just hoping that it would improve......73s

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I now know why the BB flagship stores in Melbourne and Sydney were suddenly closed down.

For the final two weeks before their doors slammed shut, the Sydney store had everything at 80% discount. I went crazy. Four pairs of shoes, a seersucker suit, two jackets, an incredible shearling coat, ties, a cordovan wallet, silver cufflinks...I even picked up some of their furniture at crazy low prices. I sent a few friends there too, and they also did well.

Vulture behaviour? I guess so. But I've been a loyal customer over the past few years, and this final spending blitz may have just helped them a little in avoiding Armageddon.

The quality was still there, as long as one chose carefully. Even the made-in-China stuff was OK (and frankly, I don't think there's any point in maintaining an anti-China-made bias these days - China is perfectly capable of high-end manufacturing, as long as the numbers add up - just check the Chinese bespoke shoe thread elsewhere on this forum).

I do hope BB survive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads