• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Bankruptcy Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paul Stuart definitely continue to "pivot", I find their new direction a bit "lack of direction" to be honest (still some good stuff, but not as in the old days where I go in and want to just buy everything)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart definitely continue to "pivot", I find their new direction a bit "lack of direction" to be honest (still some good stuff, but not as in the old days where I go in and want to just buy everything)

while I still like the clothing, I’m not as impressed with their shoes. I was lucky enough to buy three pair of Stuart’s Choice when they were being made by Gaziano & Girling. They even had a made to order program through them for a while. The selection of English made shoes seems to be left wanting and they’ve moved more toward Italian made shoes.

I still like their tailored clothing and sportswear.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
think they could never sell GG, so...

Though I wouldn't dismiss all of their shoes. They still got CJ, and the top italian line is Paolo Scafora, which all have very elegant last (though I think PS order them to GYW standard rather than HW thus less than $1k)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
think they could never sell GG, so...

Though I wouldn't dismiss all of their shoes. They still got CJ, and the top italian line is Paolo Scafora, which all have very elegant last (though I think PS order them to GYW standard rather than HW thus less than $1k)

I’m not as familiar with the Italian makes. I’m sure they are good shoes.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Skoat used to carry Paolo Scafora, you can browse them on their own website. Paolo Scafora has one of the best make up for Tassel loafer if you ask me (no personal experience, but at least picture alone I prefer it over Alden aberdeen which doesn't fit me or EG on 184)

Leander walker

Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers shopper was not as enamored. With the "made in Italy" label as Claudio DelVecchio is. In Italy,there are companies that produce clothing and leather goods of very cheap quality. You get what you pay for. "Made in Italy" is no guarantee of quality and Mr DelVecchio thought the Brooks Brothers customer,who loves and appreciated American and British made products,would swoon at the idea of "made in Italy". Obviously that was not the case. Some goods marked " made in Italy" are actually produced in china and only the finishing is done in Italy.going back to the briefcases Brooks Brothers sold,they had a steady business over the years selling a traditional box attache,lid over body style in bridle leather with a green shiver lining. This case was produced for many years in England. There also a wide range of English made cases and luggage carried,all of top quality. During Marks and Spencer's reign,I walked into the Madison Ave store one day and all the beautiful Peal cases were gone and replaced with a display of briefcases made by Coach,and made in China. The golden fleece logo was removed from all clothing and even from the elevators. The chandeliers and beautiful wood aand leather furnishings were ordered to be disposed of and were replaced by glass tables and a ultra-modernised look. Thankfully,a couple of long time employees hid the furniture rather than throw it away,with the thought that one day it would be appreciated again. The damage that was done under Marks and Spencer was never really reversed. They were chasing the Jo's A Bank "buy one suit and get 6 free" business model. When you constantly discount,you call into question what items are really worth. When your business plan is a race to the bottom you seldom win

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is that the real reason, or just fitting the story, BB has slowly retire say SAB bag etc. over time, not a big change right away, and I would say even back in 2010 (which I assume is long after the italian took over) there were still a lot English goods. And for example Edward Green was re-introduced so is own maker (which is closer to the original idea of BB) but just not selling.

I thought BBBF was a good daring try, they just forgot to move on with the time (i.e. it probably "peaked" its usefulness around same time as menswear peaked)

My impression has been "because those expensive English suit case wasn't selling, those expensive English shoes wasn't selling" (until they're on big discount that is). Though I would question some off BB's choice, like nearly everything CJ is on 240 last was at least to me a bad idea, because it's not a uniquely good looking last, just unique to BB for being unique...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha yup.. well, though I assume it's for japanese market? "proper" lacquer anything is not cheap though (now I don't think western market would appreciate that, though that is a different story)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha yup.. well, though I assume it's for japanese market? "proper" lacquer anything is not cheap though (now I don't think western market would appreciate that, though that is a different story)

I think it was for sale here. At least on their website.

But that’s yesterday’s news. Check this out:

Hurry up before they’re sold out.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last tailored peice I bought from Brooks Brothers was a semi lined navy blazer in the "Fitzgerald" fit. Thing is I love Brooks Brothers sportswear. I'm a freelancer, and work from home. To be honest with my tailored wardrobe, the navy blazer gets the most use. I last wore a suit to a funeral for a close friend's dad, that's it. Truth be told, outside some white OCBD's, I really don't need anything.

Since this pandemic began I've been dressing more for outdoorsy practical because all my business meetings have been on Zoom, or Microsoft Teams. Long haul, I might be moving to a smaller town, hopefully before the next pandemic hits, and I don't see myself in a suit when I do.

That's my situation, I'm not in a vacuum, others are going, "Do I need a suit right now?" and the answer is no, even if you can online order it in, tailoring is still involved, the big question is your local tailor working where you are?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Brooks Brothers look, I'm not thrilled with the move away from the made in America and UK products, but they aren't the only retailer currently in trouble. Will they survive, they will, in what form? Who knows?

F38etz

Reaction score
I bought a few of their US OCBDs this year when they added the pocket. Later on, I bought a few without the pocket on sale with a stacked discount. Sad to hear they're closing the Garland factory.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High Quality as in Alden .. C&J .. EG.. they let the smart ass kids in the playground and they messed themselves sadly and took down an iconic brand with it.. dumb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads